Scag ZTR won't mow very well

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
....when the middle blade spacer is on the wrong side of the blade AND the blade is upside down.

After an afternoon of beautiful mowing of spring growth our on Scag Wildcat 61" I pulled the blades and sharpened them and went to the house. Wow this thing is a hoss.

Monday my wife calls me at work and says the mower is not mowing worth a crap. Says its leaving a strip in the middle so I figure I must have not tightened the blade enough or something. She and her sister looked the blades over and couldn't see anything wrong.

When I got home I took a look and could immediately tell that the middle blade spacer was below the blade, should be above the blade. So the blade is about 1.5" higher than the other blades. On top of that the blade is upside down. So apparently I had the blade/spacer upside down and in my haste mounted it that way.

Amazing how great it mows when the blades are installed correctly......

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well #2  
Now you just have to convince your wife that this was done to give your lawn the striping effect you see on major league ball diamonds :D

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well #3  
....when the middle blade spacer is on the wrong side of the blade AND the blade is upside down.

After an afternoon of beautiful mowing of spring growth our on Scag Wildcat 61" I pulled the blades and sharpened them and went to the house. Wow this thing is a hoss.

Monday my wife calls me at work and says the mower is not mowing worth a crap. Says its leaving a strip in the middle so I figure I must have not tightened the blade enough or something. She and her sister looked the blades over and couldn't see anything wrong.

When I got home I took a look and could immediately tell that the middle blade spacer was below the blade, should be above the blade. So the blade is about 1.5" higher than the other blades. On top of that the blade is upside down. So apparently I had the blade/spacer upside down and in my haste mounted it that way.

Amazing how great it mows when the blades are installed correctly......

nah, i think you should sell it right away....to me:D

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well #4  
I have a friend who owns a small mobile home park. One day he was mowing and his deck belt broke, but he didn't realize it. After making a pass about 200' long and doing nothing but knock down grass, he looked back to see the grass wasn't mowed. He stopped the mower to check out the belt. While looking at the deck, one of his tennant's kids (about 8 years old) walked up him and said, "You sure mow sorry!" :laughing:

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well
I do alot of daydreaming while mowing. I don't know how many rounds I've made before, without bothering to let the deck down.

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well #6  
I do alot of daydreaming while mowing. I don't know how many rounds I've made before, without bothering to let the deck down.

don't feel too bad, l tend do that alot. heck i've mowed the whole yard with it up.

/ Scag ZTR won't mow very well #7  
Mr rider has a manual deck belt engage. I have been known to not even engage the deck blades for a little ways. And of course lift the deck for some reason, and forget to put it back down, and look back to see the taller grass.............. :laughing:

Truth be told, I suspect many others do similar because of brain bubbles....