I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I grew up on a horse, but I've been out of the horse business for a while. I've kept up with my riding a little because I have some brothers that run a dude ranch, and my Dad has kept horses the whole time.

After a very bad experience coaching my daughter's soccer team last year, we decided together that this year I'd get back into horses so my daughter could do 4H. Last week a series of connections all came together, and I got the three horses in the first picture at a very good price. The sorrel with the red halter is the 4H horse. The Dapple is mine to play with (he's young and very green). The white horse will eventually be my brother's.

I had forgotten how much is involved in having horses. We spent a day a few weeks back cleaning out the corral and checking fence. I had to get hay, new tires for the trailer, and I spent some time yesterday chasing down halters and bridles. I spent this morning repairing a saddle and fitting the tack. My daughter needed boots, and I splurged for a sack of grain to bribe the horses.

Even after all the running around, it feels good to be back into it. It feels like coming home. Dad, my brothers, and I went riding yesterday to feel out our new purchases (Dad has a fairly green horse too). I'm very pleased with the horses I got. I put my 6-year-old (pictured) up on the 4H horse today and the two got along pretty well. In the end, it all comes down to what you see in the pictures. The best thing for the inside of kid is the outside of a horse.

Attachments

• P1010032.JPG
    P1010032.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 139
  • P1010034.JPG
    P1010034.JPG
    393.2 KB · Views: 134
   / I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #2  
Since you have all that help, now you can get a mower, rake, baler, maybe an elevator and a haywagon. Perhaps a second tractor ! And some boarders to pay for it all. I can still recall my past days out in the back camping with the boys. They'd come trotting over while I lay down in a sleeping bag and sit and stand right near me. Lay down after a while. Lookin' up at the stars. The best of times....

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business
Since you have all that help, now you can get a mower, rake, baler, maybe an elevator and a haywagon. Perhaps a second tractor ! And some boarders to pay for it all. I can still recall my past days out in the back camping with the boys. They'd come trotting over while I lay down in a sleeping bag and sit and stand right near me. Lay down after a while. Lookin' up at the stars. The best of times....

I'd need a lot more acres to make that work.

The plan to make it pay right now is for me to take a horse for a summer, then give it over to my daughter for the next summer. After two years of riding, including showing for 4H, we'll sell it off at a handsome profit. I paid for my first few years of college with money I made buying, selling, and training horses.

Inevitably we'll both get attached to our own horses, and we'll have to pay for the horses out of pocket. But, it makes a nice fairy tale for now.

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #4  
You can make horses pay??? I had no idea. :laughing:

Chris

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #5  
Most people have no idea of the troubles and expenses of keeping horses. Horses can be very useful in teaching children responsibility and can be quite enjoyable training aids.

Nowadays, it is about impossible to make money off owning horses in our area and you practically have to pay people to take them.

If I didn't have horses, I could easily afford to take a world cruise each year but then I wouldn't get the exercise I need to remain healthy either. Nothing like pushing around a wheelbarrow of manure everyday to keep your heart pumping. :thumbsup:

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #6  
I have never made money with horses but that has never been my intent. I do not know I would have but one horse if it weren't for my kids, they are the real reason I have them. I grew up with them and when all my friends were just hanging around town usually getting into trouble I was on my horse exploring. In my oppinion there is nothing better to teach a kid responsibility than a horse.

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business
Most people have no idea of the troubles and expenses of keeping horses. Horses can be very useful in teaching children responsibility and can be quite enjoyable training aids.

Nowadays, it is about impossible to make money off owning horses in our area and you practically have to pay people to take them.

You'll never make money owning horses. You can't make money selling horses either. The money is made when you buy. Of course the slaughter ban could be the worst thing that ever happened to the horse industry. There used to be a bottom on the market that took up all the unwanted horses. Like you mentioned, you about have to pay to get rid of an unwanted horse now. There are a lot of them languishing in inadequate pastures with improper care nowadays.

Amen to all on the benefit horses are to kids... Responsibility, patience, self esteem, and a wealth of other values.

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #8  
Horses get in your blood. I'm not a horse person but it is my wife's passion. They are lot of work and expense. I do enjoy them. Have for 35 years. I love watching them run and graze in the pasture. They are like big dogs when working in the fields. Always following me around and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Most times they are in my way. I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have a horse to swat or shoo out of the way.

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #9  
Horses get in your blood. I'm not a horse person but it is my wife's passion. They are lot of work and expense. I do enjoy them. Have for 35 years. I love watching them run and graze in the pasture. They are like big dogs when working in the fields. Always following me around and sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Most times they are in my way. I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have a horse to swat or shoo out of the way.

Have to say we're on the same page. I don't have a passion for riding, but my wife does. I also have to admit that I really do enjoy having them around.

/ I'm Getting Back Into the Horse Business #10  
We had horses for 20 years. Really, really, glad to see them go. One died a few years ago, 30 years, vet said old age. Last one went down the road after she tried to bite me. Not the first time, but after being kicked in the nads, and peeing blood, and getting 2 ribs cracked another time, that was enough. Not to mention the cost - hay, feed, vet bills. In this area, I think taking proper care of a horse will be in excess of 2K per year, if you already have the housing for the animal. If the animal needs more vet care, just open your wallet. And if you want to travel, you need to get somebody to take care of the boogers. Tractors are much more useful, and are easier to "keep".