How Far Off Topic to Go?

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #11  
If you believe in markets then you could hope that things waay off topic would die of loneliness as people whose main interest is tractors steered clear. (Apparently the usage data suggests otherwise - this same phenomanon explains a lot of TV too). For myself, the political topics emphasize differences, not common interests, and I find myself increasingly avoiding the Off Topic Forum. If Moderators assure that off topic stuff is quarantined there, then those who enjoy it can wallow in anti- and pro-Clinton nostalgia and the rest of us can talk about tractors in the other Forums.

Just my opinion.

Chas

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #12  
I don't think it's so much the pure distance from "on topic" as it is a matter of taste and decency. TBN is supposed to be a pleasant place to get together and discuss all sorts of things, but it is not meant to be a battleground nor a locker room.
crazy.gif

I'm sure
wink.gif
you're all familiar with the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/site/tos.htm>Terms Of Service</A> here, which among other things says that members shall not:

<font color=blue>Publish, post, distribute or disseminate any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information.</font color=blue>

And for those dubious posts that don't fall into any specific category, you will recall the following passage:

<font color=blue>TractorByNet.com has the right to delete, edit, or decline to publish any information provided by those accessing the site at any time and for any reason or that TractorByNet.com in its sole discretion deems to be unacceptable.</font color=blue>

Exact boundaries are always difficult to define, so human (or at least moderator /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif) intervention will sometimes be required.

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #13  
"Dopey Junk" is certainly in the mind of the beholder.

One enjoyable thing about this site ... like others with a "community" purpose ... is that you're not forced to read or respond to anything ot everything. I do not monitor the forums on tractors that I don't have, peek at forums on lubricants occassionally, and peek at the collapsed threads in this and the Rural Living to see if I'm interested.
I do not feel pressured to respond to anyone in particular, ignore several posters entirely and ignore threads of no interest to me.
I applaud the work of our host and the moderators to maintain an even keel and to NOT direct the group. This is the best run, best presented, and best attended site on the internet, IMO, and that keeps me coming back. In the years I've been here, I've never seen any topic degenerate to flames ... and I - who could never be accused of keeping his opinions to himself - have never received private flames, on or off the board.
How far off topic ....well, who really cares as long as it meets the "keep it clean, polite and legal" rules dictated by our host? I've learned a greal deal from the 5000+ members online, and much of it is non-computer related. Some of it may even apply to me in the future (annoying neighbors, for instance ... what's that got to do with tractors???) so it's filed away in the back of my head.
Remember, there's nothing forcing you to respond to an anti- or pro-Clinton message ... you can just ignore it. Threads that get ignored disappear (due to message volume of other threads) real quick!
/soapbox

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #14  
I agree with you wingnut. I do see Bob's point but most of the forum sites have an off topic forum. Yes we get some stupid stuff on here. Yes there have been alot more ridiculous posts here on the off topic forum but thankfully most of them die out or are edited. I do think it's important to have a place to put all this junk. That way we can keep alot of the idle chat off of the other informative sites. There's always a place for the moderators to place a topic if it doesn't belong in the technical part.

I think it's also important for the group to be able to talk about other subjects. It's part of how we get to know each other and what makes this a great site to not only come to for technical info. but to shoot the breeze as well.

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #15  
I think that the "You might be a Liberal if..." post is intended to ruffle some feathers, but who cares. I just read it for what it is, or better yet check out some posts that are interesting. One thing about inflammatory posts; you get a feel for what type of person it is that wrote it.

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #16  
<font color=blue>Just FYI and to be clear, my post was not directed at you in any way shape or form. You're a great member. I am talking about some real dopey junk, that's all.
</font color=blue>

I didn't take it as being directed at anyone in particular /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #17  
BobT starts this thread and says.." I do not know if these posts are just to let the poster "build numbers" for their title ranking (gold, platinum, veteran, etc.) or whether it is just someone trying to flame things up."

And he refers to some "dopey stuff" posted in a reply further in the thread.

And Bob adds his own definition of "Off Topic", which is, "generally close to the topic".

So Bob, ..are you stirring the pot to get your post on the "Hot Topics" on TBN's home page? (a goal you missed in your opening post)

I'll admit I am cheap shotting you Bob. I just find it amusing that on a website that has close to 20 "on topic" boards, and 1 designated "off topic" board, that there would be any controversy about what is found on the off topic board.

I think most of us find it pretty easy to navigate through the off topic forum because the posters here are very good about not disguising their posts with trick subject lines. Better than almost any general forum I have ever visited, which is quite a few. So skip the ones that sound as if they will tick you off, or offer you no entertainment, or gained knowledge.

As Bart Simpson says.."don't have a cow, Man!" Enjoy the site like the rest of us.

GS

/ How Far Off Topic to Go?
Garage Smoker,

Boy I LOVE that name. Best one I have seen since "Skillet Licker'". BTW, I haven't seen him in a long time.

No, I am not trying to build my numbers or get on anybody's hot list.

My main concern is off color stories, jokes, etc (since a lot of teens and ladies lurk around here). And, just those posts that are MEANT to get people's ire up. Religion, sex, politics---we all know that these can erupt into a forest fire in minutes.

I have seen some long and well-discussed issues that were not directly about any tractor, but done in an entirely civil manner. Every now and then someone shows up who just wants to try and wreck things. That of course would not happen on TBN (a few have tried, and were promptly dispatched to net oblivion), but it does make a lot of extra work for the admins.

Overall, this is about the best managed web site and forum on the Internet. We is all lucky folks, I do believe.

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #19  
This forum seems to work like my tv,if you find something you dont like turn it off!

just my 2 pennies /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ How Far Off Topic to Go? #20  
Bob,

Is there some kind of prize for passing those posting landmarks? If there is then I'm afraid mine must've gotten lost in the mail. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif