Jobs

/ Jobs #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
year Doom and gloom... My daughter got a job two months ago and makes good money for a 17 year old... Wife was out of work from the next door 36 hole Golf course for three plus months... she was offered two jobs that she turned down knowing she would be back to work in late March. I can't figure why CNN is running stories about people who cannot find jobs after 2 years. Must be that they have a $2,000 dollar morgage that they could never afford.

mark

/ Jobs #2  
year Doom and gloom... My daughter got a job two months ago and makes good money for a 17 year old... Wife was out of work from the next door 36 hole Golf course for three plus months... she was offered two jobs that she turned down knowing she would be back to work in late March. I can't figure why CNN is running stories about people who cannot find jobs after 2 years. Must be that they have a $2,000 dollar morgage that they could never afford.

mark

Have a trip to michigan and search through the want ads..lol

/ Jobs #3  
Up here, We took 2 hits, Manufacturing was drying up because of outsourcing, and then the recession wiped out the rest, like our huge transmission and air conditioning plants. Those jobs won't be coming back, and while there are jobs in technology, those people are in their 50's and don't stand a chance of re-educating themselves, and starting over... I was lucky and gave up welding and fabricating 10 years ago, got in with a utility, and am finishing my degree this month...:D I am one of the lucky ones... It will take another 10 years for this area to adjust to the new reality...

/ Jobs #4  
I hear the paving crew is hiring :D

/ Jobs #5  

mark

I know lots of folks that are riding unemployment until the benefits run out, then get a job. They take the free time to spruce up their house and go fishing.

On the other hand, I also know some folks that are in deep doo-doo financially and are in debt far beyond what the available jobs are paying. Some of them take the jobs anyway and are attempting to pay off their debts. Some are declaring BK and writing the whole thing off.

/ Jobs #6  
A lot of the BK filers are folks who bought real estate during the boom and are upside down on their mortgages. If they lose a job, they are ripe for BK. Even if they have a job, some are tempted to file just to get out of the mortgage.

/ Jobs #7  
Nothern Illinois is at 20% unemployment and rising. What percentage of the unenployed are not being counted since thier unemployment benefits ran out???

/ Jobs #9  
I know of 2 large aluminum plants that have closed, because it was just too expensive to do business in this country. It was a combination of unions constantly picketing for higher wages and the high cost of electricity used to run the place. Environmental regulations caused the 2nd one. There are jobs in some areas of the country, it's just you have to move to get them, and then the cost of living is a lot higher than what you were used to. I know a lot of people have moved into the MD area from the Pittsburgh area. There is a shortage of people to fill some high tech jobs like engineering / computer scientists.

/ Jobs #10  
Plant I used to work in had 2000 workers at one time. By June 1, the number will be zero. A lot of small manufacturing plants around here ( central Michigan ), have been shutting down for years. Michigan started losing jobs in 2000, we have lost jobs for 10 straight years. A lot of it is labor cost. Mexicans working for $2 per hour or Chinese working for pennies are pretty near impossible to compete with.