Visit w/ Building Inspector

/ Visit w/ Building Inspector #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I just had a visit from the township building inspector. He came out to inspect my footings for my pole barn. I'm not done setting all the posts yet but he just wanted to make sure that I had the proper depth hole and that I was using at least 14" cookies.

Well we spent about 45 seconds talking about the pole barn before he switched the subject to tractors. He saw my tractor sitting there and said "boy, I bet that thing is a big help". He wants to get one himself next year and has been looking at the Kubota's. I told him that I looked at all the big three and so he asked me why I chose NH. I explained my choice and told him where all the dealers were at so he could go check them all out.

Oh, we did talk about the pole barn for about 2 minutes before he left. I just wanted to know when he needed to come out next and what kind of fasteners he preferred for the 2"x12"s that the trusses will sit on.

I think that was one of the most pleasant encounters that I have had with a government official.

/ Visit w/ Building Inspector #2  
Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure and have my tractor sitting close by when my time comes so he won't look to close at my work and find something wrong!

/ Visit w/ Building Inspector #3  
It sounds like you have a good inspector. I have seen all types but always try to stay on their good side. That may be easy or hard depending on the individual. I always ask questions about how they like to see something done too. When they come back and you have done it their way, it is like money in the bank.

A good inspector can be a big help too if you are having a disagreement on how something should be done with a subcontractor.

/ Visit w/ Building Inspector #4  
I've never had a truly bad experience with any inspector on any trade. I have found them all to be more than willing to help and work with me on different things. I've even had them offer suggestions as to easier, cheaper and better ways to do things and save me time, effort and money by doing so. I'm a big fan of involving them in the process very early on. Most around here are former contractors in the respective trades and really know their stuff.

/ Visit w/ Building Inspector #5  
My first experience with an inspector here was a visit to see whether I'd already gotten and posted the permit for building my shop .... see, the local contractor bid double what anyone else did and didn't get the contract ....
After that experience, he made several visits to make sure I was building according to spec and never had any problems with my work.