new gal

/ new gal #1  

roundupgirl

Skid Steer for Mesquite Stacks

Hi, I'm sort of an ag newbie, but always running into questions about mesquite clearing which is my continuous problem. I'm considering renting a skid steer with a rake to stack some mesquite I'm having grubbed and wondered if anyone has experience with that. I have 50 acres that needs to be stacked and am wondering how many days it might take to do. The skid steer is about 65-70 hp. Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I'm sort of an ag newbie, but always running into questions about mesquite clearing which is my continuous problem. I'm considering renting a skid steer with a rake to stack some mesquite I'm having grubbed and wondered if anyone has experience with that. I have 50 acres that needs to be stacked and am wondering how many days it might take to do. The skid steer is about 65-70 hp. The brush is about medium...4 to 10ft tall..been growing @ 10 yrs. Would this be more economical than getting someone to stack it all manually?
Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I'm sort of an ag newbie, but always running into questions about mesquite clearing which is my continuous problem. I'm considering renting a skid steer with a rake to stack some mesquite I'm having grubbed and wondered if anyone has experience with that. I have 50 acres that needs to be stacked and am wondering how many days it might take to do. The skid steer is about 65-70 hp. The brush is about medium...4 to 10ft tall..been growing @ 10 yrs. Would this be more economical than getting someone to stack it all manually?
Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / new gal #2  
Welcome!. Stacking sounds like a job for a grapple attachment. Is the terrain fairly smooth? Otherwise a 4wd tractor in that hp range would probably do better than a skid steer. The tractor is more versatile out in the open and can negotiate ruf ground better. ... SKs usually do have better operator protection tho.
larry

/ new gal #3  
Welcome to TBN. :thumbsup:

I combined all of your duplicate posts and moved them to the related topics forum for now. Posting several identical posts makes it hard for TBN members to follow your thread of questions and answers.

If anyone can suggest a better, more topic specific forum, I will gladly move the question there. Thanks.

/ new gal #4  
There were several posts on mesquite clearing on the Construction equipment forum before the mulching forum broke out, not sure which way they went.

Round up girl, do several searches on your key words, mesquite, texas, clearing etc. etc. and some of them should come up.

No experience myself with it, but it must be a mess to deal with and the gist I got was that a combination of mechanical and chemical worked about as good as anything, and you just had to really keep after it.

Good luck.

/ new gal
Thannks for the thoughts. My brother said he had too much trouble with flat tires using the tractor on a similar job.

/ new gal #6  
I would advise renting the skid steer and rake and going for it. Do a short term rental and see if it will do the job. I pile brush with a 60 HP skid steer and am amazed at the amount the skid steer will push. A lot will depend on how you want to do it. Short pushes and lots of pile is the most effiecent. If you plan to burn the piles it will "kill" the ground for 2-3 years. You might also want to rent a skid steer with flat proof tires although I have had very little trouble with flats. I do run punture sealant in my tires due locust thorns. I am not familiar with mesquite as to the thorn issue. For safety sake a substantial door might be in order to protect the operator. Most rakes I have seen are tall enough to protect the operator. Due to the operator location, you will be right up on top of the pushing action. There is a land clearing section in this forum that might give some ideas, but most mulch.

PS pack it tight if you plan to burn.

/ new gal #7  
Welcome to TBN. :thumbsup:

I combined all of your duplicate posts and moved them to the related topics forum for now. Posting several identical posts makes it hard for TBN members to follow your thread of questions and answers.

If anyone can suggest a better, more topic specific forum, I will gladly move the question there. Thanks.

I was about to get my glasses fixed, thought I was seeing quadruples. :D