Default Skid Steer for Mesquite Stacks

Hi, I'm sort of an ag newbie, but always running into questions about mesquite clearing which is my continuous problem. I'm considering renting a skid steer with a rake to stack some mesquite I'm having grubbed and wondered if anyone has experience with that. I have 50 acres that needs to be stacked and am wondering how many days it might take to do. The skid steer is about 65-70 hp. Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I'm sort of an ag newbie, but always running into questions about mesquite clearing which is my continuous problem. I'm considering renting a skid steer with a rake to stack some mesquite I'm having grubbed and wondered if anyone has experience with that. I have 50 acres that needs to be stacked and am wondering how many days it might take to do. The skid steer is about 65-70 hp. The brush is about medium...4 to 10ft tall..been growing @ 10 yrs. Would this be more economical than getting someone to stack it all manually?
    Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I'm sort of an ag newbie, but always running into questions about mesquite clearing which is my continuous problem. I'm considering renting a skid steer with a rake to stack some mesquite I'm having grubbed and wondered if anyone has experience with that. I have 50 acres that needs to be stacked and am wondering how many days it might take to do. The skid steer is about 65-70 hp. The brush is about medium...4 to 10ft tall..been growing @ 10 yrs. Would this be more economical than getting someone to stack it all manually?
    Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by MossRoad; 05-14-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: duplicate posts

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: new gal

Welcome!. Stacking sounds like a job for a grapple attachment. Is the terrain fairly smooth? Otherwise a 4wd tractor in that hp range would probably do better than a skid steer. The tractor is more versatile out in the open and can negotiate ruf ground better. ... SKs usually do have better operator protection tho.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Welcome to TBN.

I combined all of your duplicate posts and moved them to the related topics forum for now. Posting several identical posts makes it hard for TBN members to follow your thread of questions and answers.

If anyone can suggest a better, more topic specific forum, I will gladly move the question there. Thanks.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    NH 1925

There were several posts on mesquite clearing on the Construction equipment forum before the mulching forum broke out, not sure which way they went.

Round up girl, do several searches on your key words, mesquite, texas, clearing etc. etc. and some of them should come up.

No experience myself with it, but it must be a mess to deal with and the gist I got was that a combination of mechanical and chemical worked about as good as anything, and you just had to really keep after it.

Good luck.

Thannks for the thoughts. My brother said he had too much trouble with flat tires using the tractor on a similar job.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Case 1845C skidsteer

I would advise renting the skid steer and rake and going for it. Do a short term rental and see if it will do the job. I pile brush with a 60 HP skid steer and am amazed at the amount the skid steer will push. A lot will depend on how you want to do it. Short pushes and lots of pile is the most effiecent. If you plan to burn the piles it will "kill" the ground for 2-3 years. You might also want to rent a skid steer with flat proof tires although I have had very little trouble with flats. I do run punture sealant in my tires due locust thorns. I am not familiar with mesquite as to the thorn issue. For safety sake a substantial door might be in order to protect the operator. Most rakes I have seen are tall enough to protect the operator. Due to the operator location, you will be right up on top of the pushing action. There is a land clearing section in this forum that might give some ideas, but most mulch.

PS pack it tight if you plan to burn.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    Welcome to TBN.

I combined all of your duplicate posts and moved them to the related topics forum for now. Posting several identical posts makes it hard for TBN members to follow your thread of questions and answers.

If anyone can suggest a better, more topic specific forum, I will gladly move the question there. Thanks.
    I was about to get my glasses fixed, thought I was seeing quadruples.
    L3940HSTC, QA FEL, BH92
    L5030HST,QA,FEL
    MF 205-4
    Husqvarna YTH24V48LS (the other orange)
    KK Finish Mower, KK Tiller, 6' rotary mower, Pallet forks, PHD, Blade, Carryall, cultivator, 2 wheel barrows, assorted gardening tools,
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/r...life-farm.html