Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps

/ Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps #11  
Ah hemm, most of those wimp fishermen get a nice picture of themselves holding their catch up for the camera before they release it. :D You better try this again. ;)

/ Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps #13  
I'm confused...Who was caught and what was released in this story? I'm thinkin' that skunk is tellin' a different story than you, Moss.;)

/ Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps
Ah hemm, most of those wimp fishermen get a nice picture of themselves holding their catch up for the camera before they release it. :D You better try this again. ;)

Speaking of trying that again.... it occurred to me as I was carefully carrying the trap out to the back yard that had I not been so $%@^@!! mad at the woodchuck and been so intent on catching it and just repaired the hole in the garage door..... none of this would have happened in the first place. :confused2:

:laughing:

That's one seriously p$%$d off skunk.

You know, it was kind of calm all things considered. It just walked around in the trap sniffing. When I brought the tarp it just watched. However, when I would peak over the top of the tarp and it would make eye contact, it would turn sideways and start to point its rear end at me. I'd duck behind the tarp and it would start walking around sniffing again. So I think it knew exactly what it was doing and wasn't going to waste a shot on a non-threatening target. I think it was a card totin' member of the N.S.A. and had previous combat experience. :laughing:

A few years ago there was a woodchuck in there and the girls were standing on the back steps to the house watching me as I used a leaf blower and blew the woodchuck out of the garage. It came out and made a bee-line down the sidewalk.... right towards the girls. They were screaming, bumping into the door and generally panicking while the woodchuck had already altered course and was running away from them. Very funny stuff. :D:laughing:

So yesterday, my daughters wanted to see the skunk. While it was still in the trap in the garage, before I put the tarp over it, I brought them out of the house and they peered around the truck and saw it. There were a bunch of AWWWwwwwe he's so cute going on... until the skunk turned around. They both screamed and ran for the house. They tried to get in, but my wife was inside the house and locked the door just to see them scream some more! :laughing:

Priceless! :thumbsup:

/ Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps #17  
I have done this (live trap, drop a tarp over it, release) probably 6-8 times, and so far the skunks are quite predictable. They do NOT like being sprayed with water, and even a light spray from a garden sprayer will keep them moving in the opposite direction. I have used a sprayer several times to drive them from a chicken shed. However....it quickly became my experience that they always returned, whether run off with the spray or trapped and released (the farthest I could take them on this property for release was about 1,000 feet). Returning was not an acceptable option for me, so eventually I did the release thing, and when they were far enough away they were terminated. That kept the smell out of the chicken shed, the barn, and away from the house.

/ Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps #18  
Mossroad
What did you use for bait to get the skunk - when wanting the woodchuck ??

Mossroad
What did you use for bait to get the skunk - when wanting the woodchuck ??

Sliced apples, which ground hogs seem to love! Which is weird, because I thought that skunks ate bugs, grubs and worms. It could have been he was just moseying through and the trap was the only tunnel in his path. He didn't seem to have eaten any of the apples.

/ Catch & Release Fishing Is For Wimps #20  
Yup you have guts no doubt about that and the little stinker appreciates it too being let loose that is he had you in almost perfect alignment in that last pic! :licking:

Steve