Home Depot rentals

/ Home Depot rentals #1  

bgott

Veteran Member
Tractor
2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford
I had to go to Home Depot tonight for some stuff and I noticed they have a skid steer and an excavator in the parking lot. Small JCBs. I went to the rental counter and found out they are going to be renting them for $150 a day. I wonder how long the waiting list for those is going to be? I think I'll call tomorrow and find out how much a regular rental yard gets for them. $150 a day sounds cheap.

/ Home Depot rentals #2  
In East Tennessee the daily rate for a Bobcat brand mini-excavator is $180 and the daily rate for a Bobcat is $160.

At our local Home Depot the only rental unit that I have seen is the rental truck with an aluminum bed that looks like a dump truck (but it does not dump). And on that truck they try to discourage anyone from renting it for more than 2 hours or so by INCREASING the hourly rate the longer you keep it. Amazing.

Kelvin

/ Home Depot rentals #3  
Here in norte tejas Lowes started out with equipment rentals (nations rent). Then Home Depot has followed with the same concept.

/ Home Depot rentals #4  
My buddy just rented a JCB mini-excavator last weekend from Home Depot. The guy behind the counter told him it was there for about 3 months, and my friend was the first one to rent it. Real nice unit. VERY quiet little Perkins diesel. Those joysticks are cool. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif I think it cost him $250 for the overnight rental. Picked it up at 6 pm, back the next day by 6 pm.

/ Home Depot rentals #5  
I'll have to check with my local Depot. One rental place I called yesterday wanted $100 per day for a landscape rake only. I've seen skid steers advertised for $185-$200 per day depending on size. Delivery & pickup cost extra.

/ Home Depot rentals #6  
A few weeks ago I rented an older beat up Takeuchi min-excavator. It was an inferior product compared to the Bobcat my Dad rented and I got to drive (not use, Dad retained that privilege /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif). It was a $165/day, with pick up on Sat morning at 9:00, and back by 9:00 Monday, for 1 day rental charge. That is a really good deal. I dug the footers for a 30x40 garage. To say that I should not take up footer digging is an understatement. First time doing that, and they really could have been straighter. Oh well, live and learn. Didn't help any that we are in the midst of a drought and that clay had to be chipped out. Needed a bigger machine. But it got the job done.

Nick

/ Home Depot rentals #7  
That is pretty cheap. A rental place here in Columbus, IN gets $200/day for a Bobcat 328 mini excavator, including the trailer to haul it. But, they said if I picked it up at closing time on a Saturday at 4pm and kept it until opening time the following Monday at 8am (they are closed on Sundays), then I would still get the one day rental price. They also said there's no time limit. Apparently some places consider a one day rental to be 8 hours and will charge extra by the hour if the hour meter shows anything beyond that, so you might want to ask them about that.

/ Home Depot rentals #8  
One thing to check on when you rent is responsibility (yours) to bring it back clean, in working order, and not banged up. Our local Deere dealer rented a Bobcat excavator, and it fell into a basement being dug out (when the wall caved in). The damage was about $4000, and the responsibility of the person renting. No insurance to cover the damage.

I recently looked into renting a $15,000 Genie lift for $150/ day and learned that I was responsible for any damage. I talked to my insurance, and was told I was only covered for up to $500 damage. I couldn't get a rider to increase that amount either. I could get a 6 month policy that would cost $650 for the six months.

Another local rental place (A to Z) had insurance one can purchase to cover up to 75% of the repair costs, for about 6% of the rental fee. Much better deal.