Air Rifle Question

/ Air Rifle Question #1  

niemeyjt

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I know most guys (and gals) on this site are in US and have 'proper' guns - sadly here in the UK our gun control laws are somewhat stricter (and may tighten more after last week) - however I would welcome any thoughts or comments anyone has on air powered rifles (limited to 12lbft). The objective is to deal with rabbit and pigeons before my vegetables get eaten.

I think Weihrauch offer the best balance of price and performance and have been looking at their range.

I have been looking at spring / gas ram powered models and think gas ram has the edge - I am not looking at air bottle / CO2.

This suggests the HW90 model available with a standard (500mm) or carbine barrel (410mm). Do you think a shorter barrel may affect accuracy in something with this amount of power?

To ease breaking / reloading a silencer is supplied with the carbine version to extend the barrel length. Does anyone have any ideas on whether a silencer will have much effect silencing an air weapon?

Thanks in advance as ever for ideas - although I would prefer not to go down the route of increasing the power above 12lbft as the hassle to get a firearms licence is enormous!

J

/ Air Rifle Question #3  
I have an RWS model 58 or 56 in .22. It could easily take out birds and small game. I have no idea if it would meet UK gun control laws. And it ain't cheap. :laughing:

Would it be easier and cheaper to fence in the garden to keep out the critters? I have a six foot tall fence around our garden to keep out rabbits and the deer. If I had too I could put up netting to keep out the birds but thank fully that is not a problem. Our garden is about 25 feet by 50 feet.

Later,
Dan

/ Air Rifle Question #4  
I have an RWS model 58 or 56 in .22. It could easily take out birds and small game. I have no idea if it would meet UK gun control laws. And it ain't cheap. :laughing:

Would it be easier and cheaper to fence in the garden to keep out the critters? I have a six foot tall fence around our garden to keep out rabbits and the deer. If I had too I could put up netting to keep out the birds but thank fully that is not a problem. Our garden is about 25 feet by 50 feet.

Later,
Dan

2nd that one. It's hard to beat the RWS for power and accuracy in a pellet rifle.

/ Air Rifle Question #5  
I have had a scoped Diana RWS Model 34 .177 for over twenty five years and it is a hyper accurate killing machine.

The Weihrauch would be plenty fine for your purposes I am sure.

I've dreamed of getting a nice Feinwerkenbau for a number of years after having shot a couple of them. They are absolutely magic.....

Feinwerkbau - Westinger & Altenburger GmbH | Startseite

/ Air Rifle Question #6  
I was left a little Gamo .177 pellet gun when the great college move out occurred -- I load it with plastic sabot pellets and it easily does in starlings, squirrels, chipmunks etc. Pidgeons in the barn are easy prey. I am not sure about rabbits. I would go for the longer barrel length and forget the silencer. You are subsonic so noise won't be a big factor. The longer barrel is easier to cock and does help velocity. Pellet design has come a long way from the old flat faced lead ones and some like the sabotted rounds give much higher velocity---not sure what range of selection you will have.

/ Air Rifle Question
Thanks for all the input.

The RWS, at 22lb ft, is nearly double UK legal limit - but may be available detuned - I will have to look further. The Slavia does not appear to be available locally - I forgot to mention another aspect of our gun control rules is that purchases have to be face to face, not Internet.

Sadly netting is not an option - however pigeon and rabbit recipes are also welcome (esp ones which disguise the rabbit).

J

/ Air Rifle Question #8  
When I was a kid, I was a pretty good shot with a wrist rocket.

Look into a quality sling shot. With practice, you will be amazed at the accuracy out to 20 - 25 feet. Much longer than that might involve some luck but is still doable.

For that matter, how about a small bow and arrow or cross bow?

/ Air Rifle Question #9  
I used to use about four BBs in my wrist brocket to get a shotgun affect.

Chuck

/ Air Rifle Question #10  
I know it might seem like a hassle, but you would be far better off getting your firearms certificate and a 22 rifle.

So come on, pull your finger out and get cracking on that paperwork :thumbsup: