Pickup question, long bed vs short bed

/ Pickup question, long bed vs short bed #41  
Okay Danny, I'll stick my head out! I have a '98 F150 extended cab with a short bed (bought it about a month ago). I have two kids; 1 1/2 and 3 years. They have no problems in their booster seats in the back. When looking at buying, I looked at the specs for the crew cab and the extended cab. The crew cab had rear leg room at ~36" and the extended cabs was at 32", not much difference. Look at the extended cab with the front seat all the way back and that'll show you what the worst case is. I'm not tall so that helps the rear leg room more. Concernig the long bed vs. short bed issue. I have a Ranger with a 6' bed (for nine years now) and it always hauled what I needed (and I've hauled a lot, lumber, masonry, dirt, manure, shingles, sand, etc.). The sheet goods don't lay flat on the bed but, there are a couple of notches to put some 2x4s across and it supports them. Eight foot lumber sticks out over the tailgate about 6". This is where I can see where you may really be concerned with a short bed; you wouldn't be able to lock the tailgate up to protect the lumber. I've been very happy with my trucks (maybe I just like trucks though).

/ Pickup question, long bed vs short bed
"maybe I just like trucks though"

I agree! The last car I owned was 1978 Chevy Nova in 1990. I've had SUVs (Jeep, Bronco, Blazer, Suburban) and pickups (Jeep and Chevys) ever since! I have no intention of ever owning a "car" again!

/ Pickup question, long bed vs short bed #43  
I have owned a 2 door Ford Ranger a 4-door Dually with 8' bed and just about every door/bed/make configuration in between. If I had to chose the best of them I would take the Ford 4-door dually with an 8' bed. Just about would haul/pull anything I wanted. Only drawback was the parking, but I just learned to park near the end of the parking lots where there was ALOT of room. Most of the time I could go into the store make my purchase come out and the same people were still going around in the parking lot waiting for a close parking spot to open up. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif