beer and foam

/ beer and foam #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
cracked open a bottle of Shooting Creek Buffalo Brown Ale and tipped it up and it was very good. but then when I put the bottle down the foam would not stop. after about 10 minutes it was drinkable again. well now its gone so i guess it makes no difference.

/ beer and foam #2  
I suggest experimenting with at least 5 more to see if you get the same result.

Big Al

/ beer and foam #3  
It had a minor infection. That bottle was probably not perfectly clean when the beer was bottled. Sometimes you get lucky, and the beer still tastes good. Sometimes not...
I have had that happen with homebrew before; a bottle was not washed well enough. Have also had it in commercial beer.

/ beer and foam #4  
It had a minor infection. That bottle was probably not perfectly clean when the beer was bottled. Sometimes you get lucky, and the beer still tastes good. Sometimes not...
I have had that happen with homebrew before; a bottle was not washed well enough. Have also had it in commercial beer.

Would that be called a yeast infection?:confused:

/ beer and foam #6  
I'd switch beers that brown buffalo sounds brown to me,the only time my coors light foams up is when I've left it in freezer to long and its an icy kinda foam,good though.:D

/ beer and foam #7  
It is possible some wild yeast got in there. But, that would most likely affect the entire batch of beer. This is probably just a case of some bacteria left in the bottle after sanitation(or lack thereof).

A yeast infection, or unwanted yeast, would affect the whole batch. Just guessing but in a Micro Brew, they were probably looking at 300-1000gallons per batch. They most likely would have found this.

It is tricky though, because some beers are made with wild yeasts. Some Trappist ales, are made by fermenting in an open tank. The windows in the building are opened, letting in natural yeasts. As an example, apples have tons of natural yeasts. You can make a soft cider, simply by placing a jug of un-pasteurized cider on the counter for a few days, with the cap on loosely. Will make a cider with 2-3% alcohol.

Most of the time with foaming in the bottle, it is a sanitation problem in the bottle process.

Would that be called a yeast infection?:confused:

/ beer and foam #8  
Mighta had a touch too much co2 injected when bottling or the bottling mixture had just a bit too much sugar in it. :thumbsup:

Best is to just open the bottle, tip it up and set down when empty.:thumbsup::laughing:

/ beer and foam
Mighta had a touch too much co2 injected when bottling or the bottling mixture had just a bit too much sugar in it. :thumbsup:

Best is to just open the bottle, tip it up and set down when empty.:thumbsup::laughing:

I like the way you think.
Working on a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA now. Nice after a busy day at the farmers market.

/ beer and foam #10  
Not many place reuse the bottles anymore, and new bottles, even if not washed just prior to use, and likely to be pretty clean. I'd bet on an over carbonation and really, really good head!

Chuck