2001 GMC Yukon XL

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have posted before on the maintenance items I planned to do. So far I have put a couple of tires on, new shocks, flushed the power steering, front end alignment, new surpentine belts. The truck has 160K miles.

We are fixing to go on a week long trip and will put about 2000 miles on it. Wish I had flushed the coolant but haven't done that since 80K, about 4 years ago. Also, the transmission has not been flushed since 80K miles, and the fuel filter is probably 3 years old (had to change it out when the fuel pump went bad). The truck has the original spark plugs, wires and distributor cap.

It runs and drives fine. If I manage to get some of this done in the next couple of days, what would be the most important? And what is the most likely to fail on a long trip with an old vehicle like this? Keep in mind right now there are no symptoms, no noises, nothing. Just a check engine light that has been on for about 5 years, off and on.

How long do wheel bearings last on these trucks? I read where you don't pack em, and when you replace them you do the whole hub assembly and it is about $350 per wheel if you have it done. Not really what I'd call a preventative maintenance item at that cost so I figure you wait for noises to worry about that.

Or, we can elect to drive the 06 Honda Accord. It "only" has 138K on it. The Yukon is way more comfortable however, even though its just me and the spouse.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL #2  
When we decided to drive to New England in our then 110+K Impala, I changed my AAA to the Gold plan, and that prevented any problems.

Chuck

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL #3  
I own the same vehicle but with the high trim level that gives me autoride suspension. These are great vehicles. The 5.3 engine is very efficient and dependable, the 4l60e transmission has been time tested and is also dependable. The vehicle has no special quirks or weaknesses. You've maintained it at least as well as GM requires with exception of the plugs. Those plugs, IIRC, are supposed to be swapped at 100,000 miles. I'm on my original plugs with about 120,000 miles on them and no issues but if you're looking for the next thing to do then that's it.

The SES light has stored a code on the computer and you should find out what that is. It might be simple like a tighter gascap or it might be important like O2 sensors.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL #4  
Not only would I change the plugs but I'd have the tranny serviced also.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL
There is a Pepboys nearby and talked to them. The one guy advised against any kind of trans service before a long trip.

But I plan to have the following done tomorrow:

Spark plugs and wires $295
Coolant flush $90
Fuel filter $90
Fuel system clean $90

Could do just the plugs for $133 or just wires for $225, will do both for $295

Total with tax and $35 shop fee about $620

This will be over $2000 spent on the truck in the last 2 months - no breakdowns, just maintenance.

Bought the truck new exactly 9 years ago today for $35,000 (Sticker was $43K). Be hard to replace it for less than $45K or so.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL
Uh oh. Mrs. Alan L. just called and has had the transmission FLUSHED at the car wash (yea they do all changes and such there all the time and seem to be OK).

Ok, so this should not have been done. She has left and the transmission is working fine right now she says, the question is, will it now fail on our trip. Should we even drive it and opt for the honda? Don't want to be stranded.

Just a misunderstanding, I had been talking about needing to deal with transmission service - changing it or not and so she is just trying to take this off of me, just to get it done.

At least this WAS done 80K miles ago (not 160k) and the fluid seemed OK, not burnt or stinky, so maybe it will be OK???????

I had just talked to Pepboys today and they said do NOT even change the fluid, much less flush the transmission.

Crap.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL #7  
300$ for plugs and wires. This engine has individual little coils on the valve cover over each plug so the plug wire is about 6" long and extremely easy to access. The plugs are also right on top with super easy access. Wow, I know many people just don't want to turn wrenches but changing plugs and wires on this engine is aabout as hard as changing the oil.

It's good to see preventative maintenance.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL
Hmmmm.......I think its $92 parts for the wires and $133 labor if not changing out the plugs. I will glance under the hood and evaluate whether or not it looks like I could do it easily. If so I'll just get the plugs changed out. I have assumed the wires all came to a central location like the old distributor days.

Thanks

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL #9  
I don't follow your advice from Pep Boys on not servicing tranny before a long trip??? Don't get the logic. Maybe someone on this board can fill me in. If I recall, transmission service should be done every 40-50k miles. Your had gone 80k since last service (before wife had a flush). I'm not a fan of getting a tranny flush especially w/80k on it. I prefer the complete service w/filter.

/ 2001 GMC Yukon XL
Well, got it all done, after about 150 miles the transmission is still doing fine. Wish us luck on our trip.

Unfortunately they did find a pretty big problem in what would seem a minor area - the parking brake. Frankly we almost never use it here on flat ground, but for the last several years we find that the pedal goes straight to the floor and the parking brake doesn't work. Turns out this model has a very poor design - brake shoes just for the parking brake that expand out to the inside surface of the regular brake rotor (disk brakes on all 4 wheels). Not only are the shoes totally worn out, but they have taken out quite a bit of metal from the inside of the rotor. The mechanic says its dangerous, but it was already near closing time and they weren't going to have time to fix it.

I did some reading and find this is a problem with this truck, it wears out in the first 40 or 50K miles when its not even be used because the shoes constantly rub metal.

Anyway, they said they would do shoes, pads, parking brake pads, and new rotors on the back for $250 (regular price $498 with tax) when I have time, a concession from them getting the truck out at 7PM when it was supposed to be ready by 2:00 and causing them not to have time to fix the brakes.

They offered to also knock $100 of the current day's service, but they worked hard to get it done so I declined and paid the extra $100. Stupid maybe, but I have clients myself and sometimes its a juggling act to please them all.

New Mexico and cool temps here we come....