Network Geeks

/ Network Geeks #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
You know who you are. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I have three computers on my home network. Two are running Windows2000 and one is running Windows98. I have one access issue: When I'm on the Win98 machine I cannot access the 'program files' folder on the Win2000 machines. I can access the 'program files' folder on any of the three machines from either one of the Win2000 machines.

What gives?

/ Network Geeks #2  
easy question first .... have you set the security on that drive and/or folder (directory) so that it CAN be accessed?

/ Network Geeks #3  
Can you see the folders on the 2000 machines from the 98 machine?

/ Network Geeks
Mossroad, yes I can see the folders on the 2000 machines from the win98 machine. I can also read all the folders except the 'program files' folder.

Wingnut, I have the entire C drive setup as shared with read-only access. I went ahead and made the c:\program files folder a shared item also. It made no difference. When I try to open that folder from the win98 machine I get a script errror message.

I think this problem has something to do with the way that win2000 'program files' folder works. When at a win2000 machine, if I double click 'program files' it will give a warning and refuse to show any files untill I tell it I am sure that I want to do this. I think the network interface from win98 does not know what to do with this strange win2000 extra step.

Thanks,

jerry

/ Network Geeks #5  
Can you share out a sub folder of the programs folder on the 2000 machine and see that from the 98 machine?

/ Network Geeks #6  
<font color=blue>When I'm on the Win98 machine I cannot access the 'program files' folder on the Win2000 machines</font color=blue>

Try sharing the W2K "Program Files" folder using another (shorter) name, like "Programs", or simply "Folder".

Windows 9x has problems accessing network resources beyond a certain character limit.

/ Network Geeks #7  
Another possible reason, if you formatted the W2K machines as NTFS. I just checked the default security setting on a W2K's Program Files folder, and "Everyone" is not there. Talking here about security that is set at the file system level, not at the share level.

Right-click on Program Files, select Properties, then the Security tab. Add "Everyone" and give "Everyone" "Read and Execute", "List Folder Contents", and "Read".

/ Network Geeks
Thanks for the additional tips guys, I'll give'em a try when I get home tonight. In case you were wondering, I specifically run a win98 machine because my son has games that will not run on a win2000 platform. I am occasionally left with only the win98 machine for my own use and would like to have full access to the other machines.
Jerry

/ Network Geeks #9  
Check Control Panel---Folder Options---View

About half way down is a check box to 'Hide protected operating system Files'. Uncheck the box and you won't get the warning message. {see attached}

Attachments

• 6-199469-folder.jpg
    6-199469-folder.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 59
   / Network Geeks
Thanks Mike. That sounds like a solution. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Jerry