Cordless drill/drivers

/ Cordless drill/drivers #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
my 10 year old porter cable cordless needs new batteries or i need a new drill. seeing the price of batteries i'm thinking new drill. anyone with recommendations? right now 14.4 v seems to be the right choice for me. anyone buy one in the last couple of years?

/ Cordless drill/drivers #2  
It's cheaper to buy a whole new drill than replace the batteries

/ Cordless drill/drivers #3  
many times you can find batteries on e-bay that are less than half the retail price...

/ Cordless drill/drivers #4  
l have been using makita lithium 3.0 drill and driver for 3yrs now good.
hilty lithium is the best i have used.

/ Cordless drill/drivers #5  
many times you can find batteries on e-bay that are less than half the retail price...

Yep! I found a NiMH direct replacement for my NiCad batteries in my 12 volt Dewalts. They use the same charger and were about 1/2 the price of NiCads at the box store. I didn't find them on eBay, but I did do a web search and found a vendor that way.

/ Cordless drill/drivers #6  
What kind of usage are we talking about? Construction work or hanging a picture occasionally? I was faced with the same dilemma last year (how can 2 batteries cost more than 2 batteries + a brand new drill?). For around the house, I got a Ryobi set that included a trim saw, sawzall, light, and drill/driver for $120 at Home Depot. I've been very pleased with it for my needs, I think you are gonna find that cordless tools have improved quite a bit in the last 10 years.

/ Cordless drill/drivers #7  
my 10 year old porter cable cordless needs new batteries or i need a new drill. seeing the price of batteries i'm thinking new drill. anyone with recommendations? right now 14.4 v seems to be the right choice for me. anyone buy one in the last couple of years?

I found a really cool place online with great prices...

Makita Tools | Dewalt Power Tools | Porter Cable Tools | Milwaukee Tools | ToolKing.com
or Shop For Porter Cable Cordless Tools, Cordless Circular Saw, Porter Cable Tools At ToolKing.com

When I needed a new battery for my dewalt, I got a battery/charger and the vacuum for $130..
that was cheaper than just the batter and charger!!!

J

/ Cordless drill/drivers #8  
if your not using your drill for a living the ryobi's from hd are the way to go.the basic drill / saw combo works best

/ Cordless drill/drivers #9  
For occasional use (up to building one house) I have had very good experience with the Craftsman 19.2 volt tools. A couple months ago I got a 1/2" drill, impact screwdriver (much better than a drill for driving screws), charger and two batteries for $85 on sale.

Sometimes you can find extra batteries 2 for $50. A real contractor might laugh at you, but I still have some cash in my pocket...

/ Cordless drill/drivers
i've heard from a couple of places (including here) about the ryobis they have at HD and it looks like thats where i'm going tomorrow. i need it for around the farm kind of work but not for any daily use. i don't know about you guys but i can't imagine not having one at all. what did we do before cordless drills?