seller etiquette

/ seller etiquette #1  

Hooked_on_HP

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1900 FWD Kubota F2100E
This could also apply to tractors. I am going to buy a newer motor home. I found one on CL Wed. night. I called the seller and asked a few questions. I was happy with the answers so I asked when I could look at it.He said to call him thurs night at 5 when he got off work. I went to the bank and got the cash. I called him at 5 and he told me he was working late and call back at 5.30. I called him back at 530 and he told me it was sold. I was PO'd and asked if I was the first caller. He said I was but the other guy got there first with cash. OH well at least I didn't waste a trip.
Sat. night I found another motorhome about 1 1/2 hrs away. I called the seller and asked when I could come and look at it. I didn't want to get beat out again. They said after they got out of church on Sun. and to call at 1pm. I called at 1 to get directions and told them I would be there by 2.30. The motorhome was at a gated storage unit and they would meet me in the parking lot. When I pulled in the parking lot the was another truck there. I asked if he was the seller and he replied he was here to look at it also. Not good. As we were talking the motor home left with a car behind it. We waited about 10min. and I called the seller. He informed me the first looker bought it. I came unglued. I informed him that if he would have told me some one else was looking I would have waited and not wasted 3 hrs of my time and gas(not in such nice words).He could have cared less. Do they do business this way where you live. How could I have done things differently. When I sell something the first caller has first dibs if we can work out a time to meet.

/ seller etiquette #2  
it really sucks, but the first person with the cash wins

/ seller etiquette #5  
The thing with Craigslist and other classified type ads is that the seller is essentially anonymous and has no 'reputation' at stake. If they are selling something under financial duress, it's going to be very difficult to turn down cash-in-hand for the sake of etiquette. To marimus's point, they may also have had a lot of browsers/no-shows/etc.

It sucks, for certain, but maybe the answer is to be clear about expectations while you're talking prior to the visit. Doesn't mean they still won't sell it out from under you, but at least now you can legitimately call them a liar.

/ seller etiquette #6  
There is also a problem with buyer etiquette as well. 3 times now I've sold something, or at least in my mind. Seller states- I'll take it-sold. In 2 cases they go to their bank and come back with the cash- then try to negotiate the price down. To me saying "Sold-I'll take it" is final meaning the price was set at that point.

The other case they never came back. When I called them they said they couldn't get the money, would have been nice to just let me know. Then again before saying something is "sold- I'll take it" finances should have been prearranged.

Dealing with both buyers and sellers can be a real PITA.

Now if I have multiple people wanting to look at something I inform each one someone else is coming if they want to take their chances...they can either come too or I'll call them back if they aren't the first. It is the right thing to do.

/ seller etiquette #7  
>>>When I sell something the first caller has first dibs if we can work out a time to meet.<<

That is just common courtesy.

That is also how I handle it. However, I won't wait very long to meet with the potential buyer. I won't wait 2 days until it fits the buyer's schedule because I have gotten burned on those kind of arrangements. I would however, recommend the buyer calling before he drives a few hours to see an item. If the potential buyer is already on his way a lives a few hours away, I would never sell the item during his trip time. I have also learned if I sell something and the buyer does not have the money with him, to at least leave a deposit. If no deposit, the item remains for sell to the next potential buyer.

In general, I like it when buyers drive 2-3 hours to see something. It usually means they will likely buy it and pay full asking price. Most people don't like to drive that far and leave empty handed. It does not bother me if they want to renegoiate the price. I can always take it or leave the offer. I have driven 2-3 hours to see something that IMHO, was not as I expected. In those cases, I renegoiate or just turn around and go home. Pictures seem to make an item look better than what it is. The sellers idea of "excellent condition" may be my idea of "good or fair condition". For me, excellent means near new condition with little age and few minor cosmetic issues and operates/runs like a new item.

/ seller etiquette #8  
I had a guy try to offer me $40 for a rabbit hutch I was asking $50 for. But, this was after he had driven two and a half hours (calling me 3 times along the way, not following my directions, and wasting a solid 45 minutes of his time) towing a trailer to pick it up. He pulled up and tried to tell me my wife had indicated I might take less over the phone.

I would have given the thing to him if he had arranged all this before he came. My wife wanted it gone and I had no use for it. I knew what he had gone through to get there though, and I was a bit confused as to why he kept calling for directions and then not going the way I told him.

He had a 7' trailer and the rabbit hutch was close to 8' long (I gave exact dimensions in my listing). We loaded it in upside down (4x4 legs sticking up in the air) and I asked if he had straps or bungee cords to tie it down. He had them, but didn't think he needed them, and again asked what I thought. Well, it might cause a problem for the person behind you, but you should be ok, so off he went.

I don't know what this story says in regards to the original poster's questions, but I found it odd, and not all that atypical of my craigslist experiences.

/ seller etiquette #9  
I've only tried to sell a couple things on CL, and I've set up a few appointments for people to come look, and no one ever came and looked. The people setting up the appointments wasted my time. i haven't tried CL again.

/ seller etiquette #10  
When I listed a ZTR mower and a trailer to haul it, I got a call within an hour of listing it, the guy said he'd be here with the cash on his lunch hour from 20 miles away, and he was.

When I listed a boat, it was on there 2 or 3 weeks. I had 2 callers who said they were going to come look at it and never came, never called back. But then I had a guy call from 3 to 4 hours from here and he did come with the cash and took the boat.