5 years ago today

/ 5 years ago today #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
Well, lessee, it is roughly 5:45 AM. Five years ago at this time we still had electric power - - for another 15 minutes. Katrina's winds started here from the east, but switched to more northerly soon. I won't give a blow by blow [pun intended], but let me say that by 9 or so I knew it was pretty serious here when I began to see our metal roofing fly by, along with attic ventilators. We are a little over an hour north of New Orleans at 150' elevation, so I did not fear flooding. I didn't anticipate flooding through the roof.
Our insurance company treated us fairly & we came out as good or better than pre-K. We had a lot of help from family & friends too, for which we are forever thankful. We were so much better off than many of my close friends in New Orleans who lost all they left behind.
Just remembering & giving thanks for what we have.

Jack

Attachments

• P8290019 (2).JPG
    P8290019 (2).JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 221
   / 5 years ago today #2  
Just remembering & giving thanks for what we have.

Yes, and many of us can be thankful that we've never gone through anything like that.

/ 5 years ago today #4  
I was thinking of members on TBN that were in Katrina's path as I watched some shows about the anniversary of the big blow this week. It is still hard to imagine what it must have been like for ya'll. We have some friends that lost their home in New Orleans to flooding and their beach house in Mississippi is now a slab on the shore line. Guess we all need to remember what can take a life time to build up can be gone over night.

MarkV

/ 5 years ago today #5  
Watched a really good documentary Friday night with Brian Williams. There was a lot of footage that wasn't shown on TV before and really showed the devastation and misery that those people went through and some are still going through. It was hard to watch people with children and no aid at all for five days. When that was going on, I heard comments about the behavior of some of the people going through that, makes me wonder how some of the people with nasty critical comment would have acted in that situation.

/ 5 years ago today #6  
Watched a really good documentary Friday night with Brian Williams. There was a lot of footage that wasn't shown on TV before and really showed the devastation and misery that those people went through and some are still going through. It was hard to watch people with children and no aid at all for five days. When that was going on, I heard comments about the behavior of some of the people going through that, makes me wonder how some of the people with nasty critical comment would have acted in that situation.

Well Most people left the city as they were instructed to do, Its hard for me to feel for the people who stayed. There is a section of our society that thrives on misery and destruction. these people stay and come into the city to loot. It happened during Andrew as well. Now i not saying that i don't feel for the ones who lost everything, that is a shame and i hope they get their lives back to order. But i have no feelings lost for those who stayed. In my mind its no different than the hiker who goes of the marked trail and gets lost, or the snow skier who goes off trail and tied up in and avalanche, or the boater who goes out in waters when their are warning not to do so. It makes me mad that our tax dollars go to save these fools and i feel the same about the ones who stayed in N.Orleans. Sorry for the rant but thats just how i feel.
thanks

/ 5 years ago today #7  
I did not want to make a comment on this subject again but a previous comment has forced me to do so.

Never would I try to defend the actions of many of those who refused to evacuate so that they could stay and loot but I must once again comment on the situation that caused many to stay.

Many have forgotten that in June 2005 there was a large evacuation from the city with the threat of Tropical Storm Arlene. The news media played up this storm as being a highly unusual storm capable of causing tremendous damage which it failed to do. Many of the city's poorest lost a week's pay during this evacuation which they considered a complete waste of money.

In July 2005 Hurricane Cindy slammed the city and many more evacuated and lost another week's pay. Again the media hyped this storm as possibly being "the big one" making things sound much worse than they were.

When Katrina threatened the city again in August 2005 and the media said "this is the big one" many residents thought they were crying wolf and were too broke from the 2 previous evacuations to do it again.

A mandatory evacuation order was not given until the morning of August 28 and Katrina hit late that night making landfall at Grand Isle, Jefferson Parish, Louisiana in the early morning hours of August 29. There was no possible way to evacuate all of the remaining citizens after this order was given.

When the evacuation order was given, the computer models still said there was only a 29% chance that Katrina would directly strike New Orleans.

Over 80% of the population of the New Orleans area evacuated in the largest ever evacuation of an American city. Roads were clogged with bumper to bumper traffic with some people never moving even 1 mile in an hour. Many people could not even get out of their driveways due to the traffic.

Some people stayed to protect their valuables from looters which they feared worse than the hurricane.

Many elderly, crippled and poverty stricken simply had no possible means of evacuation.

Condemn the looters all you want, but before you can disparage all those who failed to evacuate you must come in touch with reality.

/ 5 years ago today #9  
tallho,

i'm not trying to start and argument but the reality is hurricanes are dangerous, and people especially people who live on the gulf cost know of their dangers. there is much history no there dangers. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Galveston Island, Camille, Andrew, there are more but these are the ones we compare to.

I compare this to the people who die in wild fires CA who refuse to leave their homes.

I sorry but My life and the life of my loved ones in much more important than that of my possessions. If i lived in the path of the storm, or if i lived in a low area (below sea level) i would get out and get out quick.

i also can't feel sorry for these people when the city brings them into the super dome and they destroy it. Stealing anything not tied down flushing all sorts of crap down the toilets and stopping them up. Making demands and complaining about accommodations that they them selves got into by not leaving.

Again i do feel for the everyone who lost during the storm, but i can't feel for the ones who stayed.

[/FONT]

/ 5 years ago today #10  
Living in nortern Minnesota I'll never know what a hurrican is like but we do have tornados and blizards and for me the urge to stay home and protect what I've spent a lifetime to make would cause me to stay put also.Just my opinion and we all know what there worth.Dave