Air tool connection question

/ Air tool connection question #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
I just found a nice little Coleman Cut-Off Tool which I thought would be handy for those times when the tiller picks up tough vines or wire and wraps it up tight. Just go in with this and cut the stuff out of there. I think I can also put a small grinder wheel on it for sharpening blades.. but it might take a bit of work.

My question, though, relates to something that is said in the instruction that came with this air tool. It says <font color=red>"NEVER connect quick change couplings directly to the tool or air inlet. Use a leader hose."</font color=red>

First I have heard of this. They show a diagram with a short length of hose connected to the tool one on end and to a quick change coupling on the other. It looks, from the diagram, to be about a foot long.

I connected the quick couple directly to my other tools, and never had a problem, and never heard of using a small leader hose. They don't explain here why this is so important. Anybody have any ideas about this? In the case of this small tool, I can see how the leader hose might be helpful, in that it might allow me greater maneuverablility in tight spots, but for something like an air wrench what difference would this make?

TIA for any thoughts!

Bob

/ Air tool connection question #2  
all the documentation that I've seen seems to relate to flexibility.. When you put the quick-connector end directly into the tool, then the flexibility of the hose doesn;t start until a little bit after the end of the male connector .... what, a couple of inches or more out from the tool.
Using a short length of hose before the quick coupler gives you flexibility much closer to the unit.
I'd also think you'd have much less chance of accidently de-coupling if the quick-connect were much further away from your hands.
I did the "one foot hose" thing with most of my air tools, but it sure makes stogae in the toolchest much more difficult.

pete

/ Air tool connection question
Thanks, Pete. Makes sense to me. A buddy says he has one I can have, so I'll try it on this cutting tool. This is a case where the added flexibility might really be worthwhile.

Appreciate the help!

/ Air tool connection question #4  
Maybe the tool is weak at the connection spot, and the leader relieves some of the torque on that part of the tool. With the length of the quick coupler, etc. and the fact it is pretty rigid, there may just be too much leverage applied to the tool base that it cannot handle. And as you say, the short leader will allow for more and easier movement.
I have not heard of it before either, and don't use that approach on my other tools. Will look into it though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

/ Air tool connection question #5  
A whip is used to minimize the effect of vibration and shock on the quick-coupler.

Edit: I've never used one on my tools and never had problems.

/ Air tool connection question #6  
What kind of "blade" does this cut off tool have? Mine is an abrasive wheel. Good for cutting steel, but not so good for cutting vine. You'd want some kind of steel saw blade. Of course unless you wrap a wire up.

The whip on the air tools is a best practice. My experience is that not using one is good enough. I am an occasional user, and have not had any problems.

One thing that is really nice is the swivel connector, lets the air hose go the direction it wants to. Nice for tight spots (under the hood of the car / tractor etc.)

<font color=blue>What kind of "blade" does this cut off tool have? Mine is an abrasive wheel. Good for cutting steel, but not so good for cutting vine. You'd want some kind of steel saw blade. Of course unless you wrap a wire up.</font color=blue>

oopsey. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif I kind of figured if it would cut steel it would go through a vine like the proverbial hot knife through butter. I guess that, as is often the case, I figured wrong? I'm sure I can find some kind of steel blade for it. The guy who sold it to me helped me cob together a grinder wheel for it (unusual, in my experience, to find someone so helpful at Chase-Pitkin) so probably I can do the same with other types of blades. He told me to just keep the box intact so I could return it if it didn't work out for my needs. But for $29 or so, having something to cut metal might be worth it anyway. Especially if I have to shorten my PTO shafts to install the over-running clutch that my wife says just arrived today. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

A buddy at work says he has one of those swivel whips that he isn't using, so he suggested we "store it" at my house. So that part is covered.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

/ Air tool connection question #8  
Bob, be careful with that thing. No doubt you'll find it handy, but it's got to be one of the most dangerous air tools you can use.

<font color=blue>Bob, be careful with that thing. No doubt you'll find it handy, but it's got to be one of the most dangerous air tools you can use.</font color=blue>

Well, I bought eye protection and have good gloves. What kinds of things are apt to happen? I can imagine the cutting wheel breaking and sending out shrapnel, but the wheel itself seems made of pretty light material.. so I assume eye protection is the biggy?

/ Air tool connection question #10  
Bob, one of the things I find with it is that it will literally "jump" in your hand when you first hit the switch. When cutting the vines, I would be careful as it is a metal cutoff saw and depending on where you are cutting the vines under your tiller, you may cut into or scar something that you may not want to scar.

I find mine quite useful.