Giving meds to dogs

/ Giving meds to dogs #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Just curious how you handle this, should your pet require them. Do you hide them in a "treat"; i.e. cheese or a hotdog? Or do you just put it in their mouth and expect them to swallow it?

I just finished 21 days of 2pills, twice daily; I started out hiding them, but that's a PITN.
after nearly 14 years she knows I'm going to win anyways.

/ Giving meds to dogs #2  
A small chunk of bread filled with peanut butter and the pill folded inside is what works best for us.

/ Giving meds to dogs #3  
Little cheese with the pill inside for us. One of our three will eat around the cheese and I just have to stick it down her throat. Still easier than the kids were.

MarkV

/ Giving meds to dogs #4  
my dog smartened up and spit out the pill and ate the cheese or bread we have to put it far enough back on his tongue that he cant spit it out!

/ Giving meds to dogs #5  
If you do it just right the peanut butter will stick to the roof of the dog's mouth. By the time the dog gets the peanut butter dislodged it has forgotten about the pill.

/ Giving meds to dogs #6  
For the dog I just stick it down his throat.

We have a cat that takes 5 pills a day. For the cat I do it while he's eating. While he's at his bowl I put my feet together right behind him so he can't back up, lift his head and shove it in. He usually just takes it and goes on eating.

Have to be quick and decisive though otherwise things could get messy.

/ Giving meds to dogs #7  
If you do it just right the peanut butter will stick to the roof of the dog's mouth. By the time the dog gets the peanut butter dislodged it has forgotten about the pill.

Gotta agree with Whistlepig on this one......It works great on my beagles....they don't even have a clue about the pill:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Giving meds to dogs #8  
Huh. Got five dogs and they've all had meds for something or other. Never thought of peanut butter. I always used hot dogs. Every once in a while they'd spit it out but got it on the second try. I'll try the peanut butter next go round.

/ Giving meds to dogs #9  
I used to wrap the pills in pepperoni, but she smartened up real fast and started spitting the pills out and only eating the pepperoni. Now I just stick them on the back of her tongue and she swallows them.

/ Giving meds to dogs #10  
The best thing we have used is Pill Pockets. It's a treat with a pocket to hide the pills in. Buddy eats them up.

Pill Pockets