6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection?

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection? #11  
Gordon:
Might I add that after cleaning the corrosion and/or oxidation from the pins, you should add a good coating of silicon grease to prevent further corrosion. The grease does not affect the conductivity of the pins. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Chuck

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection? #12  
Thanks for bringing that point up Chuck, I didn't put that in my post and I use the grease all the time. Another way the grease really comes in handy is at the end of the trailer season most people wont use their plugs until spring and with the salted roads it sure can raise heck with the plug on the truck. A little dab of grease goes along way in protecting your plug in winter.
Gordon

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection?
Thanks for the replies!

The reason I want two connectors/receptacles on the truck is so I can run the camper AND trailer. I went with a 9' camper so it would be lighter then my old 11'. With the shorter, lighter camper, i think I should be able to haul the camper and horse trailer(with a '89 F250hd).

My thought is to have two connectors at the bumper, one for the trailer, and one for the camper(instead of at the front of the bed).

The camper has no connector right now(had a damaged 7-wire). As long as I'm putting a new connector on, I'm open to the best type.

The truck has the 4-wire flat adapter right now. I have a trailer brake controller to wire in too. I need to add all new receptacles to the truck when I wire in the brake controller...

From the sounds of replies so far, it sounds like the 7-wire is the way to go.

Thanks!

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection? #14  
OK, now I know why you want two. My son-in-law bought a new F250 crew cab diesel this year with the towing package and it came originally with two receptacles; first time I'd seen that on one from the dealer.

Bird

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection? #15  
You probably already know this but when you wire your brakecontroller use autoreset circiut breakers instead of fuses. That way if you get a shorted brake magnet or shorted brake wire you will at least have some brakes. Do the same if you wire a 12 volt feed wire in the seven way.
Oh yea the most important thing NO SCOTCH LOCKS USE BUTT CONNECTORS for good long term connections.
Gordon

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection?
Is it ok to solder and shrink wrap connections like that? That would be my preference.

I like the idea of breakers much better than fuses! Are those typically availble at Napa, checker, Kragen, ect?

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ 6-wire or 7-wire for trailer/camper connection? #17  
That is the better than butt connector way to go!!! Yes the auto reset breakers are available at most auto supply houses. We use the style with the mounting bar on the bottom so we can screw them to the firewall or fender of the truck. They have two threaded studs coming out the top that we use ring terminals on. Very cheap insurance. If you have any other questions don't hesatate to ask I'll answer them if I can.
Gordon