I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
You read correctly and the price may increase!

I sold my fifth wheel camper, did'nt have time to camp and wanted to build a workshop/pole barn. My son transfers to a 4 year college; finds out he can't get a dorm room:mad:; we scramble to find an apartment:(; efficiency apartment available for $500 per month:(:(, one year lease. Bye-Bye workshop/pole barn. He transfered in as a junior and will stay to get his Masters Degree...3 years total.

I really don't feel bad about it as I don't want him to graduate owing a bunch of money like his mom and I. We both paid our way in college and her loan was paid back in 8 years, mine in 12 years. He has worked and saved his money for help with living expenses but I don't want him to work during school except in the summers and vacations. Its hard enough for kids that graduate to get started much less owing a bunch of money.

One good thing is he did just receive a $4000.00 a year scholarship so that may help get the workshop a little sooner.:thumbsup:

Till then I ask him how he likes sleeping in my pole barn;), oh, he is also driving my Cab Tractor:laughing:.

Anyone else have college cost?

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #2  
College costs are behind us, but I'm happy to see you are keeping your sense of humor on the topic. If you can't laugh, you'll cry - as the saying goes.
Dave.

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #3  
David, 160 sq ft is like 10' x 16'. That's more like a jail cell than an efficiency apartment. I think I've seen dorm rooms bigger than that.:rolleyes: I guess you don't get much for $500 per month.:confused3:

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years
Jim,

Thats about the size of it, give or take a foot or two. He has a small closet and bathroom but the main area is about 10x16 with stove, fridge, and sink on the 10' wall. I told my wife he could sit on his futon, open the fridge, turn the TV on, and reach his computer...the boy may never walk again:laughing:.

Actually it is bigger than my dorm room was and he does not have a room mate!

Dave1949, I have to laugh, I ran out of tears!

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #5  
A local dealer in Cleveland builds 10X12 sheds for about $1400. How can anyone justify charging $6000 a year for not much more space, unless of coures, it is in downtown Charlotte. Have you checked local grass airports? Typical hangars rent for $150 to $200 per month and have a lot more space.

John

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #6  
Anyone else have college cost?

Yes - two. One in a state school (GA Tech) located in the wrong state. It's a great school, but in-state tuition is 25% of the cost that we out-of-state folks pay. Other at Johns Hopkins. And only 3 1/2 more years to go...

If you're only having to pay for apartment, you're doing great!

Mike

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #7  
We actually made money while our son was in college- sort of. We did pre-paid tuition when he was a toddler. He kept his grades up and was eligible for a state scholarship all through college. Since the scholarship reimburses you at the current tuition rate, we had money coming IN every semester! The state wound up paying us roughly double what we paid for tuition. So if you don't count all of the other expenses (HAH!) we came out money ahead. We banked the extra money, and he's been using it to pay towards getting his Masters. By next May, he should have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering, which hopefully will translate to a decent JOB.

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #8  
Not far from here (not far ENOUGH) is Boston (Bawston, if you will).
The rule of thumb for boarding HORSES is TWELVE.

TWELVE hundred a month, TWELVE months a year, gets you a TWELVE by TWELVE stall and TWELVE hour turnout.

(This stuff is too silly to have been made up)

So, I guess that is $14.4K for 144 sq ft., a similar ratio;
but here it includes hay (-:

Ooops, that is PER year, not for 3 years.
I guess horses ARE expensive to keep - like I didn't KNOW that.

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years #9  
Just make sure the boy stays through the entire time to get his masters.
One of my sons was working on his masters and left a semester early to take a job and was gonna finish right up. Took him 2.5 years to do that last semester even with my constant hounding:p
Oh and to remain an active student he had to still pay some tuition each semester of those 2.5 years....:(
Hated to see all that money "go to waste". We paid for the 4 year degree, he did have some scholarship and intern money, the masters was all at his expense. Still was very proud to attend his delayed masters graduation last month!

/ I rent a 160sqft Pole Barn, 18k for 3 years
Not far from here (not far ENOUGH) is Boston (Bawston, if you will).
The rule of thumb for boarding HORSES is TWELVE.

TWELVE hundred a month, TWELVE months a year, gets you a TWELVE by TWELVE stall and TWELVE hour turnout.

(This stuff is too silly to have been made up)

So, I guess that is $14.4K for 144 sq ft., a similar ratio;
but here it includes hay (-:

Ooops, that is PER year, not for 3 years.
I guess horses ARE expensive to keep - like I didn't KNOW that.

$14.4K for one year, to board your horse:shocked:I don't think I want to live near Ballstone:D.