Virgin Mobile MIFI

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
Has anyone tried the Virgin Mobile MIFI? Our dsl is slow on its best days and that is assuming it will stay connected for any length of time..

VM is offering a device (you pay $150 for it) and then pay $40 for unlimited broadband internet.. they use the spring 3g network

comments.. reviews

Brian

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #2  
This is the same service, cheaper to buy and $50 or $60 a month pre pay

FRYS.com | Group Access

You have to go to a Frys store to buy one.

I get about 1 Mbit through the service.

The Frys service was originally provided by Group Access. It is moving to Coast2Coast Cellular who offers $50 a month service through Sprint and $60 a month service through Verizon.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #3  
I haven't used it but hear it's not bad for those who have limited broadband access. There is usually a limit on the number of devices that can be on the network (if you have more that a few computers/wireless cameras/etc). The other thing to watch for is "unlimited" actually doesn't really mean unlimited- it's usually capped at 5 gbs a month- fine for web browsing and email, but if you download/stream a lot of video or music you could run up against it.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI
I think 5mb would be enough to be honest.. The fine print does say "unlimited does not mean unreasonable usage" - which is their way of cutting you off if needed..

since I posted that, I have read a couple reviews saying the speed is quite slow (100 to 200 kbs) in some major areas (san diego and phoenix) - BUT I have a Sprint aircard for work that gets about 400 to 600 kbs - i dont know what to think

someone told me that that even though Virgin Mobile uses the sprint network you wont get the same speeds as a Sprint customer though.. Any ideas or thoughts

Brian

I haven't used it but hear it's not bad for those who have limited broadband access. There is usually a limit on the number of devices that can be on the network (if you have more that a few computers/wireless cameras/etc). The other thing to watch for is "unlimited" actually doesn't really mean unlimited- it's usually capped at 5 gbs a month- fine for web browsing and email, but if you download/stream a lot of video or music you could run up against it.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #5  
Virgin mobile uses the spring network. Sprint is 13% owner of virgin mobile, and is in the process of buying them entirely. Sprint also owns Boost mobile.

I have the verizon MIFI, got if for free from amazon.com with a 2 yr agreement. 5 MB month for $60.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #6  
Sprint owns Virgin and Boost 100%.

They both have data/voice that has a lower priority on the network than Sprint.

Virgin can't roam on Verizon, Sprint can. So the Virgin footprint is very small.

The latency of wireless is VERY slow compared to DSL/cable internet. If you can get DSL, get it.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI
Sprint owns Virgin and Boost 100%.

They both have data/voice that has a lower priority on the network than Sprint.

Virgin can't roam on Verizon, Sprint can. So the Virgin footprint is very small.

The latency of wireless is VERY slow compared to DSL/cable internet. If you can get DSL, get it.

thanks for your information... After some other research think we are going to go with the Verizon MIFI over the virgin mobile..

we have dsl and it appears to be down more than it is up.. We typically have to restart the modem 5 to 10 times per day because the signal drops.. As the crow flies we are within technical specs for DSL BUT because the line actually loops down a few roads before it gets to us we are actually outside the limits for DSL.. We bumped our speed from 3.0 to 1.5 and we are now at 768 kbs and still not steady, reliable service..

I have talked with Verizon customer service (frustrating as all get out) and the field technicians many times.. The field technicians are very honest and say we are at the very, very end of the line and until the lines are upgraded the service wont get any better..

thanks

Brian

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #8  
Virgin has unlimited data download limits, Verizon has a 5 GB limit. So if you watch Netflix more than 5 films per month, you will go over your limit.

Even if your DSL signal drops, you shouldn't have to restart your modem.

To get downgraded from 3.0 to 1.5 and then to 0.768 would mean that something is wrong with your line, if they qualified you to start with to 3.0 Mbps then it isn't a distance limit. I would work with them and bug them to fix your line.

The phone tech should be able to come to your house with his meter and look at the DSL signal quality. My DSL modem tells me the max speed mine qualifies for, maybe yours does. But 768k is toooo slow! :(

Bug them! :)

Or look into another wireless service from a local WISP.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI
We dont do netflix so the 5gb should not be an issue.. Also Virgin Mobile (ie sprint network) appears to be much slower than Verizon wireless at our house.. A friend has Verizon cell phone with the 'hotspot' (built in mifi) that got 1.5 to 2 Mbs at our house last week.. The fastest I have ever gotten on a work sprint air card is 600kbs (at best)

A lot of time our modem will re-connect, but sometimes not all the time.. OR will reconnect at a lower speed (32kbs) and need to be restarted and then connects at a higher speed.. Sometimes it drops and wont come back up for hours

We were qualified for dls by address tied to our phone number and that way we are within the limits, but the actual line length is way past the acceptable limit (as told to me by 3 or 4 different techs).. We are the last house on the only dsl availalbe line - all our neighbors past us dont even have dls as an option. When we moved in there were only 2 open dsl slots and we took one of them. Anyone new that wants dsl has to wait for someone else to drop it.

They say the lines have to be upgraded before it can will be any better.. We have been on them for almost 4 yrs and upgrades are not anywhere close..

we have had several techs out with their meters and they say the same thing about what max speed that is reliable (1.5 was iffy when we first got it).. and until the lines are upgraded I dont think there is much more they can do - is there?

there are other ISP's available here, but they use the same Verizon lines.. We originally had Earthlink but Verizon hooked the line up.. We got tired of having to call earthlink about the line dropping and then they would call Verizon to send a tech out.. Our only other choice is satellite or wireless..

brian

Virgin has unlimited data download limits, Verizon has a 5 GB limit. So if you watch Netflix more than 5 films per month, you will go over your limit.

Even if your DSL signal drops, you shouldn't have to restart your modem.

To get downgraded from 3.0 to 1.5 and then to 0.768 would mean that something is wrong with your line, if they qualified you to start with to 3.0 Mbps then it isn't a distance limit. I would work with them and bug them to fix your line.

The phone tech should be able to come to your house with his meter and look at the DSL signal quality. My DSL modem tells me the max speed mine qualifies for, maybe yours does. But 768k is toooo slow! :(

Bug them! :)

Or look into another wireless service from a local WISP.

/ Virgin Mobile MIFI #10  
I have DSL/phone/Dish TV in a bundle with CenturyLink phone co. They said with the DSL they could only promise 768K, and it's never even got close to that fast. Got on the Dish Network website a couple of days ago, entered my phone no. & address, it said I could get up to 5 MB. Called, they said I'd have to call the phone co. Called them, they said, "No, sorry, you can't get any faster service than what you have now." Going in all these circles is making me dizzy, but it's not from lightning-fast internet speed!