How are you getting by on your savings?

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
My sense is that the age distribution on TBN is somewhat north of middle age. If I'm right, there's gotta be some of you out there getting by on just SS and savings.

If so, how are you doing it...stocks, bonds, annuities, CD's? Are you rolling your own plan or do you use an advisor? Consuelo Mack and WealthTrack?

It seems that staying employed and accumulating assets may be easier than managing those assets to take us through retirement.

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #4  
I have been saving in a middle of the road mutual fund. When the economy tanked the value went down in a big way. I'm only 45 and have to suck it up and just think long term but man, I feel for folks who were about to retire!

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #5  
Yeah, this economy really sucks. I had good luck and got out before the crash. I dont think there will be any real improvement until we stop redistributing wealth or poverty if you wish, and start creating wealth by creating jobs in smoke stack industries. Think about it, how many college grads can Mickey D hire to flip burgers and what will you be doing?

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #6  
I was going to sell my business and retire a few years ago but after the dismal performance in the markets for the last 10 years we made a decision to hang onto the business a bit longer so we could build the retirement savings up to where we can be comfortable without much exposure to the markets.

So we have our retirement nest egg allocated to about 20% in the markets, 30% in tax free municipals and the remaining 50% in fixed cd type annuities that have a minimum guarantee of 4% interest. We also made some direct purchases in oil and gas drilling ventures with some discretionary savings we have.

It would really stink to retire, only to have to go back to work because the money runs out. So we changed our investments and recalculated our goals using safer lower yielding investments to achieve our target retirement nest egg. Means working a few more years but those are the choices.

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #7  
I am one of those lucky folks who has double retirements. I have a military retirement with medical for me and my wife. I also took Social Security early at age 62. My wife has a city retirement. Those incomes easily cover our living expenses and gives us enough for a very good life. We both have recently sold property for a substantial profit and we have our 401k and additional savings for big projects. We still borrow money to buy cars because of the low interest rates and I have 7 years to pay off my home mortgage on a 5% loan. I just can't see paying those off with cash when I can keep my liquid assets working for me if I invest wisely. I said I feel lucky, but I should have said I feel blessed. I have a loving wife and a lovely life in retirement, more than I ever expected, and surely more than I deserve.:D

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #8  
Yeah, this economy really sucks. I had good luck and got out before the crash. I dont think there will be any real improvement until we stop redistributing wealth or poverty if you wish, and start creating wealth by creating jobs in smoke stack industries. Think about it, how many college grads can Mickey D hire to flip burgers and what will you be doing?

To qoute Springsteen, "these jobs are going, boys, and they ain't coming back"

I don't have the answers, but once you close these big factories, the cost of building new ones is prohibitive. What I see called new manufacturing plants in this country are usually assembly plants, sticking together components made offshore.

/ How are you getting by on your savings?
Thanks all..

What I'm driving at here is if you're relying on savings to get you through...how are doing it? Did you purchase an annuity with some or all of your nest egg? Are you keeping a portion of your assets invested in stocks and bonds and if so how do you manage those in such volitile market conditions?

These are just some investment basics ahead of us and we're both feeling a bit stymied by just the basics.

There's lots of information out there but most of it is geared to selling you something rather than providing guidance.

I'm happy for all of you who've had the fortune of a defined benefit.

/ How are you getting by on your savings? #10  
Thanks all..

What I'm driving at here is if you're relying on savings to get you through...how are doing it? Did you purchase an annuity with some or all of your nest egg? Are you keeping a portion of your assets invested in stocks and bonds and if so how do you manage those in such volitile market conditions?

These are just some investment basics ahead of us and we're both feeling a bit stymied by just the basics.

There's lots of information out there but most of it is geared to selling you something rather than providing guidance.

I'm happy for all of you who've had the fortune of a defined benefit.

To get through, I plan on working until I die or am no longer of good health. I got out of the market when it began to get volatile. Now, I am perusing a very conservative investment strategy and making sure that my family will be completely self sufficient, if it comes to that. Ken Sweet