Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

Default How much should I charge for firewood?

While clearing some of my new property I've ended up with quite a few stacks of cut hard-wood that I don't need for firewood, so I plan to split it & sell it by the road. I'll load it into peoples' vehicles.

I did this one other time 4 or 5 years ago in a different area of town, but can't seem to remember what we charged. I seem to remember we sold 1/4 cords (6' x 4' x 16"-long logs, if my math is right).

Any ideas what I should charge?

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: How much should I charge for firewood?

For seasoned cut and split hardwood here in my part of Georgia they are charging $70 to $90 a long bed pick up full...delivered an stacked. I think that wold be about 1/2 cord.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Southern States have a stack of firewood wrapped in plastic, say 6 pieces or so for 5 dollars. Selling to campers and occasional users is more profitable than to somebody who uses it to heat the house every winter.
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

Around here it's going for about $65 a face cord. That's 1/3 of a cord, 8' long, 4' high, 16" thick.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Could always check your local paper for going price than lower your price little..better deal if one person takes all.

Season dry hardwood cut 14" split and deliver one could pay as much $215 cord..this year hardwood cut split deliver about $125.oo..deiivery miles also factor.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100D

Check Craigslist and see what the going rate is.

We don't know where beppington is, so no clue on price. From what I read on a couple of forums geared toward forestry/trees/firewood the prices are all over the place around the country. I do know it is a very hard way to make a living in many places...from some of the prices I've seen I'd have to be literally starving to do that much work for the price.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    4110 mahindra

how long does it take you to cut and split a cord by hand? a log splitter has to be paid for,add that cost.how much/little per hour are you paid,have help to be paid.maybe a little insurance too,there's a lot of extra things to think of if your running it as a business.if your just looking at dollars charge what ever.
    no good deed goes unpunished

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

Skyco & jpm: No plans to make a business of this. Just looking to sell 2 or 3 truck bed loads of the wood I cut while clearing for a house. It's just gonna sit there & rot otherwise, so I figured why not turn it into a few bucks instead.

I'll split it by hand, not too big a deal.

Last time me & a friend did this, we donated all the money to the CF Foundation, & will this time, too. My niece has Cystic Fibrosis.

Tractor
    Kubota L3700SUHST

In my part of central Texas a pickup load goes between $60-$90, mostly near $75 with a shortbed load at $60. I picked up 2 cords delivered and stacked about 110 miles away to my mom recently for $350.

I also propose checking CL for the local going rate and post an ad for people to come pickup until you run out. Best return for the least marketing effort.
    Kubota L3700SUHST, AG-Meier Mohawk 5' Rotary Cutter, Armstrong AG 5' Boxblade, Armstrong AG 5' Landscape Rake
    Scotts 50560x8 50" Riding Mower

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast