Any bluegrass gospel fans out there?

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there? #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
The Missus and I are bluegrass fans, especially bluegrass gospel.

If you are a fan and live in the Western Carolinas, you probably know about the "Gospel Truth," 6-9 am on NPR's WNCW 88.7FM in Spindale NC (92.9 in Boone, 100.3 in Charlotte, and 97.3 in Greenville). They also broadcast on the Web.

WNCW FM 88.7 - A Broadcast Service of Isothermal Community College

It's worth checking it out if you are a fan -- great stuff.

Steve

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there?
I like that song too, Del has that "high and lonesome" sound like Bill Monroe.

How far are you from Rosine, Mr. Monroe's birthplace? I think the folks in Rosine just celebrated the 99th anniversary of his birth.

Steve

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there? #4  
I like that song too, Del has that "high and lonesome" sound like Bill Monroe.

How far are you from Rosine, Mr. Monroe's birthplace? I think the folks in Rosine just celebrated the 99th anniversary of his birth.

Steve

I am about 3 hours east of Rosine. Do you get the Cumberland Highlanders on your RFD Cable channel. They broadcast every week from Rosine in the Bill Monroe tradition. I have played in 2 local bluegrass bands during the seventies and early eighties. Our original Tenor singer is doing well regionally with "Bluegrass Express". and our Original Banjo player is now playing some bigger venues with a group called "Down on Fifth". Ken Sweet

I am about 3 hours east of Rosine. Do you get the Cumberland Highlanders on your RFD Cable channel. They broadcast every week from Rosine in the Bill Monroe tradition. I have played in 2 local bluegrass bands during the seventies and early eighties. Our original Tenor singer is doing well regionally with "Bluegrass Express". and our Original Banjo player is now playing some bigger venues with a group called "Down on Fifth". Ken Sweet

I watch their show on RFD when I'm at my farm and really enjoy it. (I have DirectTV at the farm but can't get a good signal at my home in SC and so I have to rely on cable there. Sadly, the cable system doesn't carry RFD).

I envy folks like you with musical talent -- I love music but couldn't carry a tune in a 5-gallon bucket.

Steve

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there? #6  
I watch their show on RFD when I'm at my farm and really enjoy it. (I have DirectTV at the farm but can't get a good signal at my home in SC and so I have to rely on cable there. Sadly, the cable system doesn't carry RFD).

I envy folks like you with musical talent -- I love music but couldn't carry a tune in a 5-gallon bucket.

Steve

You should try a Mandolin. They are really easy. I taught my now 38 year old, youngest son, when he was 6 years old, the 3 basic chords G-C-D while he was off school for a week of snow days. He was following along Ralph Stanley and Bill Monroe on Records in no time.
I am starting my youngest Grand Daughter at 8 years old. She knows what to do, however, she says it hurts her fingers. :) I will just take my time with her. Ken Sweet

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there? #7  
You should try a Mandolin. They are really easy. I taught my now 38 year old, youngest son, when he was 6 years old, the 3 basic chords G-C-D while he was off school for a week of snow days. He was following along Ralph Stanley and Bill Monroe on Records in no time.
I am starting my youngest Grand Daughter at 8 years old. She knows what to do, however, she says it hurts her fingers. :) I will just take my time with her. Ken Sweet

Keep at it with her Mr. Ken ! :thumbsup:
YouTube - Rhonda Vincent & The Rage ;)

Boone

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there? #8  
I love bluegrass (and gospel)! We have property in Travelers Rest, so I'm hoping I can get the Greenville affiliate out at our place. I'll be up there next week, so we'll have to tune in. I actually have a banjo, and plan to learn it someday, once I have a proper front porch to pick on.

I love bluegrass (and gospel)! We have property in Travelers Rest, so I'm hoping I can get the Greenville affiliate out at our place. I'll be up there next week, so we'll have to tune in. I actually have a banjo, and plan to learn it someday, once I have a proper front porch to pick on.

The Greenville signal (97.3) isn't that strong. Try 88.7 if you can't get the Greenville signal. The host, Dennis Jones, does a great job in providing historical background on the performers, especially the pioneers (Bill Monroe, Jimmy Martin, the Stanleys, etc.)

Steve

/ Any bluegrass gospel fans out there? #10  
I do like most things Bluegrass. Mix in gospel and it just about can't be beat. I don't think I'm up to date on all the names like you guys are though. Now, saying that, I have to admit my heart lies in Western music. Western/Gospel to me is like Bluegrass/Gospel it's "roots" music and it always catches my ear! Btw, below is a link to a song that I ran into awhile back. I've always liked R.W. Hampton and have heard about Curly Musgrave and Belinda Gail for quite some time now. Sadfully, Curly died last year but the link below is to one of his last songs and he and Belinda did it with R.W. Check it out. When you click on it you'll have to get through about 10 sec. credits and some country sounding music but it's worth it. I'm also attaching an R.W. Hampton version of How Great Thou Art, it's a good one too.

YouTube - Cowboy Farewell.wmv

YouTube - RWHampton.mp4

Hey Ken, I agree with Boone keep after that yougin"! We need to pass on the torch!