Ford Powerstroke Diesel

/ Ford Powerstroke Diesel #1  

jtn

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
For those of you who, like me, love the Navistar 7.3 Diesel, now is your LAST chance to get a new one. The Navistar plant that produces the 7.3 will be discontinuing production next month and starting production of the 6.0 L Powerstroke that (I assume) will be the only diesel availible in a new Ford truck after the first of the year.

Ford is touting 20% better economy but at smaller dispalcement and higher engine speed who knows? The claim is 325 hp @3300 rpm and 560 ft-lb of torque at 2000 rpm.

The 6.0 L is the emissions compliant engine; it features EGR (exhaust gas recircualtion) technology to reduce emissions. As some of you no doubt already know there has been a tremendous demand for diesel engines last quarter in large trucks to avoid emissions compliant engines with EGR.

Just thought I would give you all a heads up.

JT

/ Ford Powerstroke Diesel #2  
<font color=blue>"As some of you no doubt already know there has been a tremendous demand for diesel engines last quarter in large trucks to avoid emissions compliant engines with EGR."</font color=blue>

Sadly, I know that all too well. Cummins has been pushing production of engines at the expense of parts supply. I had to wait over two weeks for pistons for an N14 rebuild because all of them were going to the line and none to the parts pipeline. The term used was "critical national backorder." The reality was a decision to screw current users to build more new befroe the law changes.

I called Cummins (just south of here) and told them that, as a direct result of their decision to pump out new engines at the expense of taking care of the ones already on the road, I would never, ever buy another Cummins engine again.

What a great example of terrible decision-making on the corporate level. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ Ford Powerstroke Diesel #3  
JT, I have actually been waiting for the new engine. Here in California, without the ability to decrease emission's to a level that apparently will not be reduced without EGR, all diesels will be required to have soot traps. They are pricey and get pricier with the increased displacement. A talk show once featured an engineer with Ford and said that "your going to find it hard to believe, but the new diesels will be smog eaters not producers. The air going in will be dirtier then what comes out" He's right, its hard to believe. Apparently we will see EGR or its equivalent on virtually all diesels from all manufactuers or they will be regulated out of California and ultimately the rest of the states. Who knws for sure, thanks for the heads up, Rat....