Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Our phone contracts with Verizon have been out for a long time and the phones are getting worn plus the kids are wanting cell phones.

I like something that I can stick in my pocket even when out on the tractor/BH/mower.

Well the wife has been wanting a Smart Phone for along time and last month was her birthday and next is our 30th anniversity so I decided it that was what she wanted to just pay the fiddler and have after it.

Well the 13 year old twins are not going to let her give it up even if she does not like it. The plan was I would take it should she not like it.

Well today was the first time I had touched it and it was awesome. The keyboard is small but the voice recognition software is so good you really can really just speak the text you want. Surfing is very easy but I did break out my glasses. :B

I still am not sure what I will do but I expect I will get my own Droid X tomorrow.

What smart phones are you using? We have to have Verizon to get good service at the house so the iPhone was not an option but they say Verizon will have iPhones soon after Christmas and A&T expect to loose up to one million users because Verizon's much superior service in the USA. I am not sure if Apple has fixed the technical design issue with the iPhone antenna that can cause dropped calls.

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone #2  
What smart phones are you using?

Last three months using the Droid X, and I absolutely love it.

Can download spread sheets galore, look at them (the spreadsheets) and talk at the same time. Puts my Blackberry to shame as far as getting on the internet for websites where I log into for information, and as you say, voice recognition is good. The calender on the phone is great, and I can even use the phone as a mobile "hot spot" with my laptop if I need.

Honestly, gotten to the point working with the Droid X that I don't even need my laptop as much, which honestly surprised me.

With all the apps out there, there is something that will fit your need.

All that said, if I'm doing "real" labor, that phone is no where around me. With such a large screen, it seems to be an accident waiting to happen.

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone
I guess if I really want a cell phone when around the place I can just pay the $10 a month to add one on to the plan. Because of physical limitations I really like to have a phone on/near me if I get in a bind.

If on one of the diesel tractors I never hear an incoming call but have saved my self some long walks back to the house. :)

Until 1993 I did not even know what a cell phone was and now think I need a Smart Phone. :B

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone #4  
I have a droid x..actually I'm typing this on my droid... But I have 2 phones. The droid for 99% of the time, and a throw away for hiking and dangerous tasks..pay 15 or so for them.I break or lose 2 to 3 of them a year.

That is how I keep my expensive phone safe....

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone #5  
I'm glad you did this thread. Me and my wife have been thinking about getting the droid. We both have the blackberry and she can't stand it. I myself like it but think we will be getting the droid come dec when we are both ready for an upgrade and they are offering buy one droid and get one free right now.

The droid x just got back home So I am playing with it

I am not using the keyboard But the voice recognition feature of the droid

I can see you when I stop it starts again with a capital letter . This is awesome technology.

I am afraid if I get 1 I will use it too much. :) this was my speech on way.

It does not seem to need to do you need training for force recognition to work. That is not bad for southern redneck speech.

Wall voice recognition is slower it is faster than typing on a small keyboard. Someone said force recognition even work driving down the road. You can see how is drug laws with some of my words. :)

I will see if I can Post this mail. Remember this was done by speaking only.

I am back at the BIG computer. I can see how voice will come in handy.

I still am concerned that "Technology will be the death of us all." :)

The fact i could say 'smiley face' and get at :) to appear was just too much.

I'm glad you did this thread. Me and my wife have been thinking about getting the droid. We both have the blackberry and she can't stand it. I myself like it but think we will be getting the droid come dec when we are both ready for an upgrade and they are offering buy one droid and get one free right now.

Who has the deal buy one and get one free?

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone #9  
I guess I will someday get a app style phone, but am at a loss for what one or carrier. We have had verizon for years; but I dont get reception at my parents; att does. Am thinking of ATT for the next phone; what is the style of phones they carry? Between the Blackberry, I phone, and Droid, is there much difference in what they can do?

/ Cell Phone - Droid X Smart Phone #10  
I'm on my second iPhone (4 now), it has a few annoying limitations, but it really does make my life easier. I can use it for a dozen important things, and I can talk on it too! :laughing: I have a nice Speck case on it and I've never had a dropped call. I think those issues are a bit overblown.