Hughesnet Problems

/ Hughesnet Problems #1  

JESSE1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 6400
I've been on Hughesnet for nearly two years. It's been pretty good, slow during peak times but otherwise hasn't been a problem. About two weeks ago I noticed an announcement on the Hughesnet customer page that they were going to be doing maintenance over the weekend. Naturally my internet service came to a complete stop after they did their work. I contacted customer service and they checked all my satellite connections. After getting to the Advanced Technical Support, I actually talked to someone in the USA. They admitted that what they did over the weekend caused my problems and I should have service back by Monday or Tuesday of this week. As of Friday evening still no internet (I'm at work now). I was supposed to have had another call from Advanced Technical support on Friday but no one called. I've e-mailed Hughes several times from work and it's been the same reply, they're working on the problem. Anyone else having problems with Hughes?

/ Hughesnet Problems
I forgot to add that they said the 9000 series modems (like I have)were the ones having the problems. What modem do you have?

/ Hughesnet Problems #4  
7000 series is the only one that works here. Guess we are lucky to be behind the times.
Rick

/ Hughesnet Problems #6  
"I was supposed to have had another call from Advanced Technical support on Friday but no one called."

Based on my 2 years of frustration with those idiots, it's up to you to be proactive and force the issue. They really could care less about their customers who mostly don't have any other alternative except dialup. I still recall the day I looked at the 3G Verizon coverage map for this area and it was beautiful blue! Unbolted the Hughesnet dish from my roof, disassembled the despised thing, yanked the wires out of my house, threw the whole shebang in the trash and never looked back.

/ Hughesnet Problems #7  
If you have not done so unplug the modem wait 10 secods or so and plug it back in. This will restart it and cause it to download new encryption codes and reload the software. They have been making changes to the turbo page servers and moving people off of their assigned gateways teporarily while the changes are made. Usually takes a couple of days and then they move you back. You can tell when the changes are made by looking at your FAP meter as it will reset to a new refill time anytime Hughes changes your gateway.

/ Hughesnet Problems #8  
Yesterday I called Verizon about broad band. He said that my only alternatives are my local telephone company or Hughesnet. He never mentioned verizon 3g or wildblue. I checked and I'm on the coverage map of both companies.

/ Hughesnet Problems #9  
In some prior threads about Hughesnet, I had mentioned that I thought my brother was satisfied with them. However, I learned last week that he got rid of Hughesnet and now has AT&T DSL service; faster speed and a third the cost.

/ Hughesnet Problems
As far as the modem, I've almost worn out the plug trying to reset it, I've done it daily. Last night I e-mailed them twice and got on the tech chat to let them know I'm waiting. I did get a call from Advanced Tech Support today. He repeated that it's a software problem that's affecting only the 9000 series modems and they're working on it. Supposed to download more software this weekend.
He said they will follow up again in a few days. I've only got about two more months on my contract and I'm going to find out what kind of wireless internet is available in this area.