Electrical gremlins

/ Electrical gremlins #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Some bizarre things are happening.

I have had a hot tub for many years and twice in the last 6 months it has tripped the breaker. There are two breakers, one in the panel and another outside on the side of the house (regulation GFI). I cannot figure why.

The main breaker panel in my house was making a sound yesterday. It was like an electrical squeal or buzz, very faint but steady. I wonder if it was the doorbell transformer. I turned off the power to the house and then on again and it stopped.

Any comments?

/ Electrical gremlins #2  
Bad breaker
poor connection on wire-wires
poor connection where breaker plugs into buss bar

/ Electrical gremlins
I will check all those things. Thanks.

/ Electrical gremlins #4  
I agree the sizzzzling sound means something is loose. Bad conections will make heat. Could a thermal gun be used to locate this? The type that is just pointed at a object and a reading results. You have been lucky to have the ability to call a electrican instead of the fire department.

/ Electrical gremlins
Good tips. It was not really a sizzling, I know what that is (I have a light switch that is starting to arc). It was a humming, like a fluorescent light. I think it was the doorbell because I found out my wife broke it when she was bringing something in the door and the wires are all exposed.

Never knew breakers could oxidize but it make sense.

/ Electrical gremlins #6  
The conditions of the hot tub do not make sence with a arcing light switch and exposed wires on a door bell. The main breaker should be checked for connection,they do not normally make a noise. The hot tub trip could be because of some inbalance, causes not sure. If you were to turn off the circuit to the light switch then all these sounds should be gone. The door bell is 24 VAC low voltage, if that was isolated then the noise should be gone. There could be a loose neutral on the service side. If you are not sure have a pro check it out.
Craig Clayton Canadian Electrician

/ Electrical gremlins #7  
I own and take care of a lot of rental properties. One thing I've learned is that breakers do go bad and won't hold their labeled load. When that happens, we swap em out and everything is back to normal.

Just my .02

J.

/ Electrical gremlins #8  
You might also consider using a ground fault circuit breaker on your hot tub circuit (if you haven't already). Not saying it has anything to do with what you've experienced, but it's a simple (tho pricey) extra safety step that I take with hot tubs, whirlpool tubs, etc.

/ Electrical gremlins #9  
Some local codes require that the GFI be in sight of the tub. The problem with a GFI being outdoors is that their life is shortened by the weather. If your local code allows, I would install a GFI breaker in the house panel.

Sizzling is not good, it indicates that something somewhere is arcing. To use a IR heat gun, the panel face plate must be removed and each item checked.

/ Electrical gremlins
You might also consider using a ground fault circuit breaker on your hot tub circuit (if you haven't already). Not saying it has anything to do with what you've experienced, but it's a simple (tho pricey) extra safety step that I take with hot tubs, whirlpool tubs, etc.

Some local codes require that the GFI be in sight of the tub. The problem with a GFI being outdoors is that their life is shortened by the weather. If your local code allows, I would install a GFI breaker in the house panel.

Sizzling is not good, it indicates that something somewhere is arcing. To use a IR heat gun, the panel face plate must be removed and each item checked.

I do have a CFCI within 10 feet of the hot tub (but the 2nd breaker in the house is not GFCI).
It's a bit of a mystery, but I'm poring over it bit by bit. No more funny noises, but my spidey sense gets tingly when weird stuff happens. Again, there is no sizzling, except for me when I cook stuff!