Annoying Spam E-Mails

/ Annoying Spam E-Mails #21  
I don't know whether it was using the "unsubscribe" link, or changing to block the sender, or something else, but at least I haven't received any more of the same e-mails for CreditReport.com since yesterday.:D Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions.

CANSPAM requires an unsubscribe link--if you're getting email from legit businesses you've done business with in the past, they're not spamming, they're nurturing:D

If they don't have an unsubscribe link they're violating CANSPAM and could be subject to fines etc. Let them know you don't want their mail; they only want to send to people who are interested in getting it anyway.

Real spammers are best stopped with anti-spam tools like Postini on the server side (check with your ISP) or at the email client with tools like CloudMark. Both of those work well.

Just remember that no matter how good the filter, some mail you might want can get caught. That's the reason most systems quarantine the email (junk mail folder, etc) so you can look through it later.

/ Annoying Spam E-Mails #23  
Bird, it will not help with your existing spam issue, but long ago I started strategy of using "alternate" email addresses for shopping and anything that was not sent to places I trust e.g. friends and family and very few others. That way, if/when the alternate email starts getting a lot of spam I just delete the entire account and set up another one, primary account is still intact.

The downside is you have to set up your email client to check multiple mailboxes for incoming mail, not hard to do, but hardest is to remember to select which email account you want to send FROM.

/ Annoying Spam E-Mails #24  
Bird, it will not help with your existing spam issue, but long ago I started strategy of using "alternate" email addresses for shopping and anything that was not sent to places I trust e.g. friends and family and very few others. That way, if/when the alternate email starts getting a lot of spam I just delete the entire account and set up another one, primary account is still intact.
The downside is you have to set up your email client to check multiple mailboxes for incoming mail, not hard to do, but hardest is to remember to select which email account you want to send FROM.

GMail and some other providers let you use the '+' sign in your email address. So (for example) if my email address is example@gmail.com I can use example+TBN@gmail.com for registering on TBN.
Then I can see who is spamming me based on the address that they are sending emails to.

Aaron Z