Army pay

/ Army pay #1  

milkman

Elite Member
Ky. Between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank
Tractor
BX2200, BCS 735
I was looking at the "Aircraft carrier" thread in the Photo section, some neat pics there. I got to remembering and my dad was in the army in '42 and '43 and as a kid, I remember finding some of his Army stuff in a closet under the stairs. His army boots had two buckle on the side and there was a pair of canvas lace up leggins that he used sometime in the snow and he used his Gilette razor that you had to take apart to put in a new blade. I also remember his dress hat and the regular cover, whatever you call it. Wish I'd kept all that stuff now. I seem to remember that he said his pay was $26.00 a month. Was wondering what the pay was from some of the older Vets, I think it's half way decent now, though not nearly enough.

/ Army pay #2  
I was looking at the "Aircraft carrier" thread in the Photo section, some neat pics there. I got to remembering and my dad was in the army in '42 and '43 and as a kid, I remember finding some of his Army stuff in a closet under the stairs. His army boots had two buckle on the side and there was a pair of canvas lace up leggins that he used sometime in the snow and he used his Gilette razor that you had to take apart to put in a new blade. I also remember his dress hat and the regular cover, whatever you call it. Wish I'd kept all that stuff now. I seem to remember that he said his pay was $26.00 a month. Was wondering what the pay was from some of the older Vets, I think it's half way decent now, though not nearly enough.
I was inducted under the ''delayed enllisted program'' on 1 June 1969, at $97.00/month, got promoted to Pvt E-2 to $110/month. Graduated AIT at Pfc E-3, then to Jump School and arrived in Nam in Dec '69 at $140/mo, as best I recall. That plus $55/mo jump pay and $110/mo combat pay put me at a whopping tax free of $300/mo, of which, I only kept $40 for spending money.

Yes, today they make much much more and in many cases, equal to or more than comparable civilian occupations. We've come a long ways with our Military.

I salute all Vets and all that served: some gave all, all gave some. Merry Christmas!

/ Army pay #3  
I was inducted under the ''delayed enllisted program'' on 1 June 1969, at $97.00/month, got promoted to Pvt E-2 to $110/month. Graduated AIT at Pfc E-3, then to Jump School and arrived in Nam in Dec '69 at $140/mo, as best I recall. That plus $55/mo jump pay and $110/mo combat pay put me at a whopping tax free of $300/mo, of which, I only kept $40 for spending money.

Yes, today they make much much more and in many cases, equal to or more than comparable civilian occupations. We've come a long ways with our Military.

I salute all Vets and all that served: some gave all, all gave some. Merry Christmas!

I served at about the same time you did and I remember that pay scale well..it was tough to make it for a month on that and send money home but we did.

Now I think we should absolutely bring back the draft with each draftee serving a mandatory 2 yrs and cut the pay way back and stop being the worlds police force and involving ourselves in micromanaging other countries and trying to impose our form of government on every other country. For sure we should stop Nation building. I just don't see us being able to afford the salaries and benefits at the current level and I think it would do our young people good to serve and learn some discipline. :)

/ Army pay #4  
Now I think we should absolutely bring back the draft with each draftee serving a mandatory 2 yrs and I think it would do our young people good to serve and learn some discipline. :)

Absolutely agree.

I went in in 1979, the basic pay was $450/mo. In 2011, the basic pay (both for E-1) is 1400/mo.

/ Army pay #5  
I served my country for 8 years in the US Air Force. Of those i spent 6 years in ground combat units. Sounds crazy but in the 90's i was in the USAF and was stationed on US Army bases, and had to do ruck marches.

I believe that you should be required to serve in order to be a citizen.

/ Army pay
Now I think we should absolutely bring back the draft with each draftee serving a mandatory 2 yrs and cut the pay way back and stop being the worlds police force and involving ourselves in micromanaging other countries and trying to impose our form of government on every other country. For sure we should stop Nation building. I just don't see us being able to afford the salaries and benefits at the current level and I think it would do our young people good to serve and learn some discipline. :)

I completely agree with you, and fire all the mercenaries that make way more than our troops.

/ Army pay #8  
Eddie, I took it one more step and looked up a link to historical pay rates. Here's a list with links going back to Oct. 1, 1949. I joined in early 1968 while the 1967 pay rates were still in force. In boot camp my base pay was less than $100 per month, but since I was married, I also got Basic Allotment for Quarters (BAQ), so my actual pay was never under $100 per month.

/ Army pay #9  
Sad part, the fort hood shooter is still earning about $6000.00 a month. Should be a E-1 on death row.

mark

/ Army pay #10  

I agree with most of what you said except the bring back the draft part and I don't think the pay should be cut back. Just the opposite in fact. The men and women in our forces are underpaid in many instances for the responsibilities they have and risks that they take for our nation. I'm not trying to say that all draftees were incompetent but I do believe our forces are better served with those who want to be there. It's easier to be good at your job if it's one you chose to do rather than one that was forced on you. Always makes for a better team. Just my humble opinion..........