110V Electrical Question

/ 110V Electrical Question #91  
Excatly ... thats why I re read this and called the Power Company ... Great advise and thanks !!!

I was actually suprised to find it at the transformer. I figured it would be in the meter panel. None the less, glad to hear that it's working like it should.:thumbsup:

/ 110V Electrical Question #92  
I'd tell him to stay home!

I completely agree.

Anytime an electrician (or any other tradesman) is as far off the mark as this one, his work is highly suspect.

If you upgrade, get a good electrician.

/ 110V Electrical Question #94  
My mom had a somiliar problrm and the 'neutral 'wire on the pole had only one strand still connected the other had broken as the lead in wire didnt have any slack ..What a difference. for years my dad told my mom was crazy that the lighhts dimmed.

/ 110V Electrical Question
Testing for low voltage,, Start with the main panel in the barn,, Take the cover off put your meter on 600v ac check between each hot wire going into your main breaker to the neutral wire you should have around 120v on each,, Then plug in your 2- 250 watt lamps and test again,, If the voltage stays the same then the problem is not outside the panel.. Lets assume all is OK there,, Unplug the 2 lights and check the voltage coming out of your 120 breakers,, " I assume you have more than one? " See if the voltage is still 120v between the breakers and your neutral .. then plug in your 2 lights and check the breakers again...

Start with that and let us know what you find,,

I know this is a little late ... but it is information. Last night before the power company got here, we put the meter on the main lines coming in. One side was 120 and the other was 130 then I plugged in a handheld power saw when I hit the switch the 120 dropped to 60 and the 130 side spiked at 200

/ 110V Electrical Question #96  
:laughing: yeppers would have told you the neutral outside was bad,,,:laughing:

But you know that now anyway,, Glad you got it fixed.. and BTB if the panel isn't broke don't fix it..

/ 110V Electrical Question #97  
I know this is a little late ... but it is information. Last night before the power company got here, we put the meter on the main lines coming in. One side was 120 and the other was 130 then I plugged in a handheld power saw when I hit the switch the 120 dropped to 60 and the 130 side spiked at 200

That is the first thing your electrician should have done when he started trouble shooting. I have to agree with the others, he isn't a great electrician. :( It wouldn't hurt to take a couple of pics of his finished job and post them here just so the "Illuminati" can critique his work. :D It's still a good decision to replace the old panel with a new one that you can find breakers for if/when the time comes that they fail.

/ 110V Electrical Question #99  
I had a boss several years back had the same thing happened only his water pump (120 volt) started and when it did the microwave, satelite receiver, television and computer were all on the other half and poof, can you say protection would have been helpful at this point on the electronics, well it was from this point on. The power company did end up paying for half the cost of replacement.

Steve

/ 110V Electrical Question
Well as of yesterday I had not worried myself with the new panel. And then in the a.m. I had the same darn problem ... called the electric company and out they came. They found a fried post on the meter base as well one of the wires going from the meter base to the panel was as well crisp ... so they left a meter base and told me I needed an electrician to change it out and then they would put me back online.

I had the panel, the breakers, the new copper wire and thought this can't be two hard so on the coldest day in Oklahoma History I got out the tools and decided with the power dead now would be a good time to change it all!!!!!

Being old darn near everything was rusted and near impossible to get apart ... That being at about 1:30 p.m. I managed to get the meter base, the panel, breakers in place and about 5 p.m. I was done (almost) and they put the power back on. All is again working as it should.

I am wired in temporary, the conduits are to long because the panel box is larger and the wires are hooked to the breakers for now. Have to get them cut to length and placed in the box ... when I am done, I will post some pictures of this country boys electrical handy work !!