110V Electrical Question

/ 110V Electrical Question #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Ever since I bought this place I have had a problem with the 110 receptacles in my shed. The lights work, the welder gives me no problem.

The wires are run in conduit with a receptacle every 10' ... 6 on each side of the barn. I have never been able to use a saw, grinder ... not enough power, I can plug in a light or use my chain saw sharpener. (Circuit is 20 amp breaker)

I am getting ready for baby chicks, plugged in a 250 watt heat lamp, when I plug in the second 250 lamp they both become very dim.

Easy fix? I know a little about electricity ... what do ya'll recommend?

/ 110V Electrical Question
P.S. Makes no difference if I am plugged into the first or last inline receptacle ...

/ 110V Electrical Question #3  
What is the size and length of (electrical) wire to your shed? Too small for length will give you a voltage drop - i.e., not enough power.

/ 110V Electrical Question #4  
What's the gauge of the wires on the 20A recept circuit?

/ 110V Electrical Question #5  
Sounds like a loose connection, or coroded. Can you get acces to split the circuit? Since you have conduit it should be as easy as pulling another wire.

/ 110V Electrical Question #6  
What is the size and length of (electrical) wire to your shed? Too small for length will give you a voltage drop - i.e., not enough power.

Yes, if the wire feeding the shed is too small and/or the run is too long, the length of the wire will create resistance and voltage loss will occur. Query though...you say "the welder gives me no problem"...sorry, if you are using an electric welder it will draw far in excess of the current required of a saw or grinder. Please clarify, thanks.

Good point ... I should have noted that. Its direct from the Power Company to the meter on the barn ... I don't know the size but it's only about 12-18" from the meter to the panel.

What's the gauge of the wires on the 20A recept circuit?

I don't know ... its in conduit. Keep in mind The nearest outlet is 6' from the panel and reacts the same as the one 60' from the panel.

Yes, if the wire feeding the shed is too small and/or the run is too long, the length of the wire will create resistance and voltage loss will occur. Query though...you say "the welder gives me no problem"...sorry, if you are using an electric welder it will draw far in excess of the current required of a saw or grinder. Please clarify, thanks.

JD ... What I am saying is my welder is 220 on a 50 amp breaker and I can use it anytime. The 110 outlets are my problem.

Sounds like a loose connection, or coroded. Can you get acces to split the circuit? Since you have conduit it should be as easy as pulling another wire.

I have checked at the breaker for loose connection and or corrision ... nope.

Okay explain "split the circuit" and "Should be as easy as pulling another wire"