What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #102  
The species of birds killed are known for helping clean the parking areas of fast food establishments so food poisoning should be a consideration.:D

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #103  
One more comment for the conspiracy theorists...

That guy is a wanna be Conspiracy Theorist.

If he was REAL the foil would be formed in a pyramid shape! DUH! Everyone knows that!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #104  
That guy is a wanna be Conspiracy Theorist.

If he was REAL the foil would be formed in a pyramid shape! DUH! Everyone knows that!

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

Dan - You are exactly right..the true hat that will connect you with the Mother Ship is pointed...the more points it has the better the reception and Reynolds Aluminum Foil works the best ..the cheap ones from the dollar store don't give the same reception...you get what you pay for ! :thumbsup::laughing::cool:

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #106  
Right. But they are not saying fireworks killed the birds. They are not saying the force of the explosion of the fireworks caused physical damage to the birds. They are saying that maybe the sound of the fireworks spooked the birds from their roosts, causing them to panic and fly in the dark. That is all they are saying. It is a theory. Yet there are people posting in this thread that are either trying to twist the theory on purpose or just have poor reading comprehension.

Agree, the reporter said those words "fireworks caused the death of thousands of birds"...

The local paper this morning said it was solved, that the fireworks spooked them and then they flew in a panic and ran into buildings and cars, which caused the trauma that killed them... I would have expected reports of birds running into houses and damaging cars.... and perhaps many birds laying right next to buildings and cars (instead of all over in the open and on top on roofs, etc)... the news reports showed the birds laying out in the open and on top of roofs...

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #107  
No Moss, 100,000 or more Tillapia died in Asia somewhere and more in Sweden...it is different species of fish and birds..

Perhaps I did not make myself clear...

Each particular fish kill involved a different species of fish, but only one species per location.

Many times since the 1960 there have been massive die offs of alewives in Lake Michigan. Miles and miles and miles of dead fish.

In 1999 we had record low temps here in South Bend, which caused really thick ice on the lakes. As the ice melted on a local lake, there were thousands and thousands of dead shad. Only shad. They could not tolerate the low oxygen conditions caused by the thick ice.

In the mid 2000 bass started dying off in lakes. It was attributed to a bacterial kidney disease that only affected bass.

Just a couple years ago, people started finding dead crows and blue jays in their yards. Turns out crows and blue jays are more susceptible to West Nile Virus that other birds.

All natural causes.

On the other hand, we had the White River fish kill in 1999.
White River Fish Kill

That was man-made and killed all species of fish.

Back in 1976 as a Boy Scout I was involved with the DNR doing a fish kill. We put rotenone in the water. It stunned the fish and they could not swim or move their gills, so they died. It was interesting. First, little tiny iddy biddy perfectly formed fish of all species about 1/2 inch long started floating up out of the weeds. Slowly, as time progressed, larger fish started coming up. Then big bass. Followed by big catfish. Finally, 4' long gar came up. Then something weird was observed. Carp came to the top and were not completely stunned. They started mouthing the air and within an hour there were thousands of them still able to flap their fins and gills. So the DNR had to put in another dose of rotenone. It took another 24 hours to kill everything.

My point being, one species die offs (as is the case in Arkansas, and the east coast and in those other other countries) are almost always naturally caused. Man-made fish kills very rarely target one species.

Although I can think of one exception that I witnessed first hand back around 2000 or so. The DNR lowered a lake level and used a low dose of rotenone to kill gizzard shad from the same lake I mentioned above. The shad are much more susceptible to low oxygen levels than other fish, as proven by the thick ice die off. The low dose of rotenone was just enough to keep the shad from swimming fast enough to keep water running over their gills. It only killed the small and weak shad, which, if you ask me, was kind of a waste of money, because the large breeding shad survived the kill and just laid more eggs the following year.

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #108  
The species of birds killed are known for helping clean the parking areas of fast food establishments so food poisoning should be a consideration.:D

That's a good theory, too.

Although they have not yet found any signs of chemical poisoning, it is, at least, a reasonable theory. :thumbsup:

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #110  
The map is interesting. I would wonder if the higher number of incidences in the US might well be simply higher reported incidences, given that communication, travel, and other things are much more developed here. Far fewer places where a mass death would go unnoticed here, as opposed to most places on other continents (possibly excepting Europe).