What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #51  
Ok, I will get to the bottom of this. I will request a one million dollar grant fron the goverment to study this and find out what the cause was.
I will need a new truck, camper, and a few other necessities to get to work on it. I have lots of free time and not much income at the present.
Regards,
Clayton

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #54  
Originally Posted by sweettractors
And the Black Crows,Rabbits and squirrels are disappearing here in Ky. Ken Sweet

any increase in the coyote population would account on the rabbits and squirrels...

"black crows" (you have another colored crow in KY ?)...usually a decrease in one species means an increase of another...it's cylical too...or possibly a change in local crops...maybe from corn to hay ?

There are natural cycles to everything...around my place in GA...when we first got established there (1970)...there were very few wild turkeys....but there was an abundant population of Ruffed Grouse...now there are hardly any grouse but lots of turkeys...(I'd rather eat a Ruffed Grouse than a wild turkey any day)

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #55  
One of the more credible reports I heard was from a meteoroligist that said this has occured before and was caused by the birds getting caught in a major updraft from a severe storm and going very high in the storm column, and getting beat to death from hail, and dying in mid air and some time later being ejected from the storm cell up to 50 miles from where they were sucked up. Also the autopsy, results did say that the birds were dead before they hit the ground, although I dont know how they know that, but maybe they do. There were severe storms in the area both near Bebe Ar and Louisiana at the time. I dont know about the smaller bird kill in KY. or anything about the kill in Sweden. The fish kill near Bebe is credited in at leash one report to some kind of disease, I cannot vouch for any of these opinions, but I did hear them. I have also heard a lot of Bulls*** about fireworks. Which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I have shot the He** out of flocks of blackbirds with a 12 guage, and very few ever fell, from the shot, and not a darn one ever fell from the noise of fright! What a crock. I dont know what happened, but I am not buying the fireworks thing at all.
James K0UA

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas
Ok, I will get to the bottom of this. I will request a one million dollar grant fron the goverment to study this and find out what the cause was.
I will need a new truck, camper, and a few other necessities to get to work on it. I have lots of free time and not much income at the present.
Regards,
Clayton

Clayton, We can't have a grant to get something done until we spend 2 Million on a commission to study the impact on the area in question. Ken Sweet

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #57  
There are natural cycles to everything...around my place in GA...when we first got established there (1970)...there were very few wild turkeys....but there was an abundant population of Ruffed Grouse...now there are hardly any grouse but lots of turkeys...(I'd rather eat a Ruffed Grouse than a wild turkey any day)

My apologies for thread drift.

I think I heard someone say that wild turkeys were harmful to quail populations as the turkeys raided the quail nests for the eggs. Did he/she know what they were talking about?

Steve

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #58  
There was a significant weather change around new years. The temperature was around 60 in the days preceding the 31st then it suddenly dropped to below freezing with even colder wind. We were in Kansas City for new years and an ice storm the night of the 30th left more than a 1/2" of ice. During the day of the 30th I was wearing short sleeves. I would bet the weather was the cause. Also we are many inches short on rainfall this year so the Arkansas river should be low. It is common for the water and oxygen table in ponds to roll over with temperature changes which can kill fish. The drums killed are bottom dwellers a change in oxygen level near the bottom could explain their death.

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #59  
I have been watching this out of the corner of my eye, the last couple days. So far, I have not heard a explanation of what may have happened. 5000 birds fall out of the sky and several thousand Drum fish flat to the top in the Arkansas River. Tonight, I am hearing other countries having similar anomalies. Any ideas on the cause? Ken Sweet

I've been wondering when this would make it to TBN...:thumbsup:

/ What happened to the Birds and Fish and Arkansas #60  
I am still waiting for a good explanation. One weather person had a credible story to tell.
I live in a black bird migration route, so we see zillions of these things every year. The flocks are quite a spectacle to behold. We also live by power lines, we own guns and fireworks. Oh, we do extremely loud noises to move the birds along. All these factors have never resulted in deaths like the ones observed.