Is your's a 'back door' home?

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #1  

alchemysa

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B1550HSD
I was discussing with a friend about what to look for when hunting for a home. It reminded me that 15 years ago while looking for our present house, one of the things I wanted was a 'back door home'. That is, a home where friends and family always come to the back door and let themselves in. I dislike homes where everyone has to come to the front door, ring the bell and be let in. My gran's home was a back door home, so was my folks home. Everyone came to the back door, then virtually straight into the kitchen, all very comfortable and informal. When we heard the clink of the little side gate we knew it was a welcome visitor. The only people who ever came to the front door were strangers and bible bashers.

Fortunately we found a back door home. And the holiday home we built by the beach a few years ago has similar features. House and garden design these days seems be all about 'the grand entrance'. Well blow that. Give me a friendly 'back door home' any day. It's something that needs to be thought about at the design stage of course. Making the back door easy to get to, and protected from the weather, are obvious considerations.

Anyway its just a thought. If you've ever wondered why some homes just 'feel good', give some thought to the 'back door'.

Last edited:
   / Is your's a 'back door' home? #2  
Ours is actually a "basement door home". It is a two story log home in the middle of no where and the basement is only partially underground and our rec room/living room is in the basement. Everyone comes in this way and there is a nice wood/coal stove waiting to warm you up .
I have came in from the treestand during hunting season many times to find my basement full of my frozen hunting buddies who have beaten me there. (Our door is rarely, if ever locked.)

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #3  
Seem's almost every house we owned was a backdoor house. We do have the nice entrance and those that don't know us well will use it and the doorbell, but all our friends and family know that if it's between wakeup and sleep time we're likely either out back working or relaxing. So they just join us there when they show up and if for some reason we're not out back they just knock and walk in the back door. I really prefer the informality of it..................

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #4  
I have lived in both types. I grew up in one and my first house of my own was, but the last five have not been simply due to layout and convenience. When the driveway doesn't go to the back door, the back door does not get used. That simple. When the parking is closer to the back door, then the front doesn't get used.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #5  
Yes, there was only one person who ever came to the front door and that was my son's friend. They stopped hanging around together for a couple years. One night at dinner time there was a knock at the door and I said "there's Tim" My son answered the door and I was right. We all had a good laugh and Tim used the back door from then on.
The home I am building has a front door for looks but I can't see it getting much use.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #6  
Have not used our front door once in the last 25 years.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #7  
I never really thought about it but you are exactly right. Funny how small things can make a house a "home". By the way, your back door isn't under water now is it? Have seen the news on the terrible flooding going on down there. Hope ya'll dry out soon.

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #8  
I have lived in both types. I grew up in one and my first house of my own was, but the last five have not been simply due to layout and convenience. When the driveway doesn't go to the back door, the back door does not get used. That simple. When the parking is closer to the back door, then the front doesn't get used.

Same here. We used to have a rear entry garage and a paved alley behind the house. Since we usually left the garage door open (not a good idea in these times, I know), the neighbors were accustomed to coming in the garage and in through the back door through a small laundry room, then into the kitchen. But now, no alley, front entry garage, front door is inset enough that anyone can get out of the weather. So if the garage door is open, family and friends come through the garage and into the kitchen, but otherwise everyone uses the front door.

But now nearly everyone knocks or rings the doorbell; even family. When I was a kid, doors were never locked, so no one knocked, they just opened the door and hollered to see if anyone was home. I never had a door key until I left home when I was 19. Of course my parents only had one car key, too; didn't need anymore since that one was never taken out of the ignition switch.:D

/ Is your's a 'back door' home? #9  
We have a three door home and they all get used;) I do know what you mean about having a friendly place for Friend to feel welcome, I've had Friends come over and sit in the swing on our side porch and never knock or ring the bell, I walk outside a discover them there and ask how long they been here? and why not come on in? Their reply usually they're just enjoying sitting out under the porch swinging and knew we would be coming out sooner or later:D
To better explain our 3 door home....:D we have a screened in back porch we sit under in the mornings while sipping on coffee watching the sunrise,... We have a side porch we sit under drinking a glass of lemonade in the heat of the days while trying to avoid the sun on the other side of the house, and then we have our front door & porch we sit under sipping on a after supper cup of coffee watching the Sun go over the tops of the Pines and a turning into a beautiful sunset glow in the sky,
So yes we have the best of 3 worlds and it makes it even better if we can share these times with our Friends,:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Is your's a 'back door' home? #10  
We live in a doublewide home. My wife picked out the floorplan that she liked. The home has three entrance doors. We rotated the house 180 degrees and placed the "front" door in back, on the north side, away from the driveway. We never use this door. Our sliding glass "back" door faces towards the driveway and has a small deck and we use this door a lot, however our side door which opens into our utility room/morning room sees the most use. For our family this is the perfect layout.