Where are You and Your Computer

/ Where are You and Your Computer #1  

glennmac

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota L3430
When you are talking to us here on Tractorbynet, I mean.

I am in one of two places. Right now, I am in my office in Hartford, CT. I am on the 22d floor of an office building. I only use an IBM 570 laptop. It is on my credenza, which is right below a large window. So if I lift up my eyes, I see a park below me and the golden-domed CT state capital building across the park. The trees in the park and beyond are now all in foliage.

But I hate coming into the office. 55 mile commute each way. I only do it 3 days a week. Like someone said on another thread recently, "A bad day on the tractor is better than a good day working in an office." I agree.

So, most of the time I'm online is when I am at home. There, I am always in bed with the laptop on my chest. I have a nice home office with a Mac, but I like hanging out in bed, and hence just love the laptop -- or chesttop, in my case. Often my dogs are laying with me on the bed -- Max, the stickaholic German Shepard, and Sasha, the Tibetan Princess Lhasa Apso. In the evening, I have talk shows on, which I listen to as I periodically check Tractorbynet and other internet things.

Where are you?

/ Where are You and Your Computer #2  
Interesting question. Lots of us will probably get fired over this thread.

At this moment I'm sitting in beautiful Dearborn, MI at work. Unlike yours glennmac, I don't have a great view, but do overlook a small courtyard. I'm running a Dell Latitude laptop right now off a T-1 connection from our network (at least I think that's right). Tractorbynet is kept minimized on the bottom tool bar, along with a couple of other sites I like, and I spot check on occasion some days. Other days I don't. Since I travel some, the laptop keeps me wired to the world from wherever I end up at night. Tractorbynet is kind of a fun thing to keep up on when you're stuck in a hotel room somewhere. I do a 52 mile each way commute, and I use the time to keep up on all the CDs I love to listen to.

At home, about halfway between Pontiac and Flint, MI the HP 600 mhz machine is on a dedicated phone line and from about 7:00 PM is on-line full time until everyone goes to bed. Between the kids, my wife, and the occasional times they let me use the system, the keyboard stays pretty warm. On weekends, it's really tough getting system time(everyone is home), so it's usually real early on Saturday or Sunday before everyone starts stirring that I get to run the internet.

Later.

Bob Pence

/ Where are You and Your Computer #3  
Right now I am sitting in my office on the 14th floor overlooking downtown Dallas to the South. I can also see Texas Stadium over to the West. I'm using a Dell Dimension PII 333 on a T-1 line here. At home (52 miles away) I use a Dell Latitude PII 300 notebook computer on a regular analog phone line.

I make the commute 5, sometimes 6 days a week.

I use my tractor on my 24 acres 6 miles west of my current home, but we should be moving out there before yearend.

/ Where are You and Your Computer #4  
Glenn, before I get off the topic of the thread, I'm always at home when on Tractorbynet. I'm retired, so I have to participate on my own time. :)

I, too have a Lhasa. This is our second one. I think it is in their blood to think they are royalty. Ours has our routines down pat, and even knows what day it is by what we do when we get up. She lets us know when we don't do something in the right sequence! She is 11 years old, so she has us pretty well trained by now. My two have been very fierce protectors when approached by strangers.

Gene

/ Where are You and Your Computer #5  
I'm right at home on my computer. Literally.

I work at home and have one of those bedroom-turned-office setups. Nothing fancy -- just what I need to get the job done. Naturally, I do all my TractorByNet'ing from my main workstation, which is an older PowerMac 6500/250 with 2 monitors, flatbed scanner, film scanner, DSL hookup and...

Oh, what the heck -- the attached photo tells it all.

HarvSig.gif

/ Where are You and Your Computer #6  
Harv,
I can't believe you don't have any tractor pictures,but mostly of your new Kubota. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Where are You and Your Computer #7  
A little light reading on your scanner, Harv?

To answer the question, I'm currently in a corner office of a two-story building (ground level, 2nd floor, corner). The office is set in a 40-50 year old red pine plantation stocked by school kids from what-was a nearby K-12 (now gone in consolidation, building leveled with little remnant). My typical view is across the entrance and wood lot, at some neighboring storage rental units. Out my other window, I can see, about a quarter mile away, past trees, swamp and houses, a former home where I lived nearly ten years. Behind me is a local softball field. My other computer is about 2 miles away at home (an easy lunchtime run), a place where I more typically log-in.

/ Where are You and Your Computer #8  
Glenn,
My office located on the fifth floor which over looks quarter of the campus,also I have view of Vermont and New Hampshire mountains and when its a nice day outside its very hard to set in the office. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif
I face 2 Dell computers in which one for chemical alarms and the other for system control checks,than there the good old lap top which mostly use for {email..tractorbynet..instant messages}back up. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

My home tuck in on a side of a mountain which I can see New Hampshire & Vermont and during the winter months barley see New York. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif
Elevation about 1033 feet and thats a steep pitch. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

My Packard Bell located in front of my sliding glass doors so I can have a view of the weather plus any activity,oh yes I'm about 13 steps away from the coffee maker /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif less than 75 to my dream {Kubota} machine. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Glenn you drive 55 miles to work /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif for my round trip to work about 19 miles.
Just can't compare the country to the city. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Where are You and Your Computer #9  
Thomas,
I have a Farmall-A collector plate on the wall, and 1/16 Ertl '58 cub, Super-AV, and wide front C on the shelf. Working on the complete "letter" line of 1/16 Ertl Farmall's. My poor Kubota doesn't have a picture. Maybe when it is a 60 year old collector tractor :)

Glen,
I watch tractorbynet, followed by ytmag and atis on a old P-100 Intel built machine at home in the office/reloading/sewing room. From there can see the Crystal range, looking east towards Lake Tahoe. At work, I look out over a sea of cubicles while looking at a IBM thinkpad. At least on the way to our lab, I can see a coutyard... Then it's a 15mile commute to the home office.

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ Where are You and Your Computer #10  
glenmac,

Right now, about 11pm, I just sat down with the laptop on the bed and check out the new tractor posts while watching Dave Letterman on the tube. This is the norm at night.

By day, I check the site a couple of times a day. My office has NO window's but is decorated with several green tractor toys. My job is associated with building a new power plant so I don't see many tractors at work, but I do get to see some neat heavy equipment (big cranes, big trucks and one of the biggest tractors I've ever saw, I'll have to post a pic of it somewhere). Anyway, I get tired of seeing all that so I sneak around and look at tractorbynet.

Boots