Get a ZTR, save your tractor

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I brush hogged a few acres of cow peas this morning and tilled the garden. It occurred to me the very low number of hours I have put on my B2710 since we got the ZTR 3 years ago. Only about 100 hours in 3 years, whereas it was 100/yr before that. Looks like this tractor might last me the rest of my able bodied life. With out the ZTR I'd probably be putting enough hours on it that it would peter out before I do. It also helps that the ZTR is a whole lot better mowing machine anyway.

Get a ZTR and prolong the life of your tractor.

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #2  
Alan, your being a CPA, I'm sure you've figured this out, but what is the cost of your ZTR against the tractor? At some point that ZTR will wear out and have to be replaced too. Convenience and speed all calculated into the equation with ZTR replacement cost is the true measure of savings in my opinion. That said, I've sure looked at ZTRs with envy more than once.:)

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #3  
I brush hogged a few acres of cow peas this morning and tilled the garden. It occurred to me the very low number of hours I have put on my B2710 since we got the ZTR 3 years ago. Only about 100 hours in 3 years, whereas it was 100/yr before that. Looks like this tractor might last me the rest of my able bodied life. With out the ZTR I'd probably be putting enough hours on it that it would peter out before I do. It also helps that the ZTR is a whole lot better mowing machine anyway.

Get a ZTR and prolong the life of your tractor.

My tractor is 9 years old now and just rolled over to 805 hours, I use it about 80 hrs a year for just mowing. I will be 60 years old this summer and although I would like a ZTR it's hard to justify spending the money for one when I know the tractor will outlast me even if I start running it 200 hours a year. One of the reasons I purchased a mid-chassis JD was with the expectation of having it last longer than me..

Yet, you make a good point for the younger folks to take note of.

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #4  
I think Alan has a point...if you reduce the tractor hrs by 60 and usually the efficiency of the ZTR is higher so maybe 40-45 hrs on a ZTR vs the tractor annually. But the ROI?

On average I would suspect a 25-30 HP is around $18-20K with a FEL and MMM. The MMM probably worth $2500. A ZTR typical is $6-10K for the commercial ones, so deduct the MMM cost and increased efficiency and less hrs on the tractor may give it a longer life and better resale value.

Of course it you put 60 mowing hrs on a tractor for 20 yrs thats 1200 hrs.. and 45 hrs on a ZTR for 20 yrs thats 900 hrs.. If you own the tractor already then you have added investment say $7500 for the ZTR over 20 yrs thats $375 a year.

Feeding and maintenance probably would be a wash, fewer hrs on each piece, and diesel vs gas in a ZTR with fewer operation hrs may be a wash also.

I guess it comes down to resale or end value in 20 yrs.. a $18K new tractor with 2000 hrs vs 800 hrs after 20 yrs.. then add $7500 to the equation for the ZTR. I dont think the ROI is there for this.. just my opinion.

This said I have wanted a ZTR for a long time and last year got a Ferris as i increased mowing area by 1.5 acres and the B21 TLB never will be a mower..and the 21 year Cub Cadet still ran OK it is EOL without some engine and other work in the near future..will keep the Cub but it more of a utility mower/cart puller now..

Then there is business investment many have here with capital equipment purchases..the ROI for the ZTR could be very compelling.

It really comes down to toys I think and while the ZTR is more time efficient, better cut etc, the bottom line they are really fun to run...and a change of pace from the tractor, no matter the color.

I grin when I mow now.

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #5  
Alan, I used your thinking when I bought a ZTR three years ago. My BX had 1150 hours on it, and I thought if got a ZTR, the tractor would be used 25-30 hours a year for FEL work and would be good for a long time.

Two years ago, though, I bought another 10 acres of land that I keep mowed/bush hogged regularly. I traded the BX on a B2620, and now I am back up to 100 hours on the ZTR and a 100 hours on the tractor!! Of course, if I did not have the ZTR, I'd be at 225 hours a year on the tractor, so I'm still coming out ahead, and I enjoy having two machines.

Will

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #6  
According to my local Toro/Exmark/Skag dealer the zero turn pumps start going out around 1200 hours. The motors are also getting tired. He stated that is why some big lawn care outfits trade their machines off at 2-3 years. That is also why you will see a big drop off in price of the used machines.

In twenty years, will you be on your 2nd or 3rd zero turn?

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #8  
Most the guys around here say they have halfed or thirded their mowing time with the Ztr's. Anybody else can make or match that claim.? D.

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #9  
I can mow about the same amount with a mid 90's 52" Kubota powered Lesco commercial zero turn as I can with a 24 PTO horsepower tractor with a 6' finish mower. I do use a little less fuel with the tractor. The ground speed is a little faster with the zero turn and the manuverability are where the time is made up.

I should say I can mow about the same amount when the Lesco is not being repaired.

/ Get a ZTR, save your tractor #10  
I never put that many hours on my tractor to think that it was worth using it less per year. I change the oil every year, but I don't even run it a hundred hours to justify the oil change from usage.

I found that the zero turn gives me a better look, is easier to use and does the job much faster then my tractor with a finish mower on it. It aslo mows sideways on ground that is too steep for my tractor, so I'm able to mow and maintain areas that I couldn't before.

For me, they are like night and day. One does one type of mowing best, the other does another type of mowing better.

Eddie