any Mac repair gurus here??

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
My wife's Powerbook G4 (purchased in 2003, OS 10.4.11) will not boot.. You get the start up chime but it will not finish booting up (the screen lights up and you get a spinning icon)..

What I have done:

a) Reset PRAM b) Reset NVRAM c) Reset PMU

Installed new ram (since it did not help, re-installed old ram)

Booted from CD and Ran scan disk got 僧issing thread record errors

disc utility tried to 喪epair twice but could not repair all errors

Still will not boot completely

Questions

1) is the repairable or will the HD need to be replaced

2) If repairable - what is the best utility to repair the hardrive - I have reference to 'disk warrior', 'tech tool pro' - any others you recommend?

3) Could it be the PRAM battery?

thanks

Brian

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #2  
Usually the spinning icon means a bad hard drive or missing operating system. If you have the reinstall disks there is a repair option that will repair the OS and (hopefully) keep your libraries, documents,pictures,ect., intact.
If not try to boot off the disk and salvage as much if you can off the HD and do a complete reinstall. If that does not work HD is damaged and needs to be replaced.

If the battery was dead or dying the date would reset to 2003 or the date of the motherboard chips were built, annoying but still operable.

There are some good repair info sites do a google search usually a free full service manual type of site can be found.
Wish we could have that for our tractors instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a book or cd.

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #3  
Yup

Has all the signs of a failed HD. Agree, there are places that can/will install. It's your call. Fix or no fix. Personally, I'd fix if the price was right.

/ any Mac repair gurus here??
Good news.. i was able to buy a Fire Wire cable (IEEE 1394) and make her computer a 'target' hard drive.. I then was able to move her files to my computer until we get her fixed..

I am going to try and do a clean install of the OS and see if that helps - before I buy a new hard drive..

If I purchase a new hard drive will it come with pre-installed operating system software??

IF I have best buy/other repair place put the hard drive in for me will they install new operating system on the HD?

Brian

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #5  
Most Mac repair shops, independent, will load your OS on it for you.

Good work with the target using firewire. Here's hoping.

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #6  
I fix it.com

Sometimes, you can "visualize" the repair, doing it yourself, and make a decision as to whether you want to take it on. I love these step by step guides on fixing things.

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #7  
Yes, those are the signs of a bad hard drive but it could be just corrupted or the hardware could be bad. You might as well try to repair it. Disk Warrior would be a good choice to try. Look at the fixit or some other web site if it looks like you need a new hard drive - you could save some money getting one online and installing it yourself if you are handy. Also keep in mind what a used laptop would cost and then decide if a new hard drive is worth while.

Ken

/ any Mac repair gurus here??
I fix it.com

Sometimes, you can "visualize" the repair, doing it yourself, and make a decision as to whether you want to take it on. I love these step by step guides on fixing things.

I stumbled up on ifixit and its a great site.. BUT after looking over the steps for replacing the HD it is a LOT of steps (and way too many tiny screws), so I think I will let someone else tackle it.. Best Buy said they would install the drive for $50 and it looks like I can find a drive around $60 or so as well..

brian

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #9  
I stumbled up on ifixit and its a great site.. BUT after looking over the steps for replacing the HD it is a LOT of steps (and way too many tiny screws), so I think I will let someone else tackle it.. Best Buy said they would install the drive for $50 and it looks like I can find a drive around $60 or so as well..

brian

Brian, if that price holds up, it is likely your best route. Hope the guys in back are qualified? Here's to hoping so.

/ any Mac repair gurus here?? #10  
Not sure if your G4 is a aluminum or titanium they are a little more difficult to work on. Just trying to get the case off without damading it is an art. Did you try a Mac store? They probably would have the best qualified personell to repair a Mac.