Phone or adapter for Skype

/ Phone or adapter for Skype #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I am trying to find a solution to use a normal phone for calling through the LAN - using Skype.

Now I found some phones online and also some adapters online, but reviews are mixed at the best. Anybody has an experience with similar solution?

/ Phone or adapter for Skype #2  
I've been playing with voice over IP for over 10 years. Business use for the past 7 years and I have not had a land line in my home for almost 4 years. I like Linksys hardware (SPA2102) It gives me two lines.
My current provider is voip.ms and I'm happy with the service. Phone numbers are $1/month. Calls are about a penny a minute, toll free numbers are no charge. When I travel I set up an extension and call home for free. Too many features to discuss. Voip is a bit of a hobby and things can get complicated. Biggest call quality factor is latency. Voip does not need much more than 120Kbps but the packets have to arrive reasonably quick (~50ms latency) or quality deteriorates. If anyone in your house streams video or uses torrents it can cause problems.
I've never used Skype, but any solution that involves a PC (USB phone) is at the mercy of the PC. I've found the call quality inconsistent.

Last edited:
   / Phone or adapter for Skype #3  
Unrelated to Skype, but you can get free long distance calling in the USA using Google Voice, which is also free. Overseas calls are quite cheap.

Czech Republic - Other $0.03 a minute

/ Phone or adapter for Skype #4  
How about magicjack? We have two - one office, one house, for long distance calls. Uses normal phone plugged into gizmo that plugs into computer. I like that you can take the gizmo with you when traveling abroad and call home free.

/ Phone or adapter for Skype
Thank you for your input.

/ Phone or adapter for Skype #6  
I bought a adapter to allow me to use my normal phone with skype. The adapter died after about 6 months. All the adapters appear to be made by the same company no matter who sells them.

/ Phone or adapter for Skype #7  
Zoom makes an adapter to use standard phone equipment with Skype. I picked up one at Wal-Mart marked down to $30 (if memory serves). We use it hooked up to a cordless phone base. Works pretty well. It was a replacement for a no-name unit that worked for a few years & then died.

Nick