Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Default Phone or adapter for Skype

I am trying to find a solution to use a normal phone for calling through the LAN - using Skype.

Now I found some phones online and also some adapters online, but reviews are mixed at the best. Anybody has an experience with similar solution?
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Default Re: Phone or adapter for Skype

I've been playing with voice over IP for over 10 years. Business use for the past 7 years and I have not had a land line in my home for almost 4 years. I like Linksys hardware (SPA2102) It gives me two lines.
    My current provider is voip.ms and I'm happy with the service. Phone numbers are $1/month. Calls are about a penny a minute, toll free numbers are no charge. When I travel I set up an extension and call home for free. Too many features to discuss. Voip is a bit of a hobby and things can get complicated. Biggest call quality factor is latency. Voip does not need much more than 120Kbps but the packets have to arrive reasonably quick (~50ms latency) or quality deteriorates. If anyone in your house streams video or uses torrents it can cause problems.
    I've never used Skype, but any solution that involves a PC (USB phone) is at the mercy of the PC. I've found the call quality inconsistent.
    Last edited by Tig; 02-01-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Veteran Member

Unrelated to Skype, but you can get free long distance calling in the USA using Google Voice, which is also free. Overseas calls are quite cheap.

Czech Republic - Other $0.03 a minute

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST

How about magicjack? We have two - one office, one house, for long distance calls. Uses normal phone plugged into gizmo that plugs into computer. I like that you can take the gizmo with you when traveling abroad and call home free.

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Thank you for your input.
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

I bought a adapter to allow me to use my normal phone with skype. The adapter died after about 6 months. All the adapters appear to be made by the same company no matter who sells them.

Tractor
    John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB

Zoom makes an adapter to use standard phone equipment with Skype. I picked up one at Wal-Mart marked down to $30 (if memory serves). We use it hooked up to a cordless phone base. Works pretty well. It was a replacement for a no-name unit that worked for a few years & then died.

Nick
    2010 John Deere 3038E w/305 FEL
    Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, Frontier BB2060 Box Blade, Jinma 6" Chipper from Ranch Hand Supply, TSC Tarter 5' Rotary Tiller, Middle Buster, ASC Keulavator Hiller/Bedder, Caroni 59" Finish Mower
    2010 Gator CX
    2013 John Deere 1025R FILB w/ Bro-Tek thumb & ripper
    Retired FBOP NRA Life