The Last Night

/ The Last Night #11  
When you got in your truck pulled out of the lot and looked back at the building did you think to yourself, Ill miss that place, or thank God thats over with?

/ The Last Night
When you got in your truck pulled out of the lot and looked back at the building did you think to yourself, Ill miss that place, or thank God thats over with?

I will miss 'some' of the people. I worked for some good people. My department manager was top notch as was the guy over me on my shift. My fellow supervisors were also very good. I am really going to miss some of the union people. There were some that watched my back for me and did their best to keep things running smooth. It will be a long time before I can stop wondering how and what they are doing.

On the other hand there are some that if I never see them again it will be too soon.

I will not miss the factory itself.

I only worked there three and a half years. So I do not feel 'ownership' in the place. I can drive a few miles from my house and see what remains of the 69 acre under roof plant that I worked in for thirty three years. Started at age nineteen and was fifty two when it closed. I felt like I owned a part of that place. Being a supervisor in the area I had made me one of the people whom everybody knew. If I go to Wal-Mart or any other store I will see somebody I know. And my wife taught school for thirty three years. So we can't go out to eat or shopping without being stopped by somebody who knows us. Usually several people whom one of us has worked with in the past.

This amazes my sons-in-law

The feelings I had when I went thru the gatehouse the last time were regret that my working life is over, regret that I will never see some good friends ever again, and regret that I could not have done a better job.

I also felt excitement that I was starting a new phase of my and my wife's lives. Excitement that I was shedding a great responsibility for a greater freedom. And anticipation in starting a new era in my life.

I also felt a great sadness knowing that the greater productive part of my life is over. Now I will 'play' and help my kids and relatives. And in the back of my mind is the realization that my time will soon be over even as I watch the future grow in the shape of my grandchild and the grandchildren to come.

The drive home that night was a long one and yes all these thoughts were running thru my mind as I drove thru the rain to be with the one waiting at home for me.

Life goes on.

RSKY

/ The Last Night #13  
Very well stated, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us here.

I was able to retire at a relatively your age, (51) as did many others I knew at my worksite. Many of us hoped that by our leaving, it would make employment opportunities more available to the younger generation. Jobs are scarce here in Michigan, especially so for those without a college education. I often wondered that by my retiring early, it helped someone else get a foot in the door to begin their working career, or even get a step up the ladder.

Does anyone else have the same thoughts?

/ The Last Night #14  
Congratulations on the retirement!! I am 38 and have probably 16 years left before retiring, but I am not in a hurry. I do enjoy my job, but the one thing I have noticed as I get older is how fast the years go by compared to when I was younger. I just wish the time would slow down.....Enjoy your retirement, you have earned it!!

/ The Last Night #15  
Congratulations on the retirement. When I was 21 I had to hold back tears when an old crane Operator I worked with retired I learned alot from him and he was one that we all looked up to. Its hard when a good hand leaves when we lose one to a job change or retire ment its a big thing.

/ The Last Night #16  
Very well stated, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us here.

I was able to retire at a relatively your age, (51) as did many others I knew at my worksite. Many of us hoped that by our leaving, it would make employment opportunities more available to the younger generation. Jobs are scarce here in Michigan, especially so for those without a college education. I often wondered that by my retiring early, it helped someone else get a foot in the door to begin their working career, or even get a step up the ladder.

Does anyone else have the same thoughts?

I had some of the same thoughts, but it didn't last too long. The plant closed a year later. That was 3 years ahead of the date published in 2007. I was 53. Jobs can kinda be like a hole in water - they just dissappear.

/ The Last Night #17  
None of the shops back when I worked at a Tool and Die shop in the 80's are still around... there was so much manufacturing in the SF East Bay to see it go in the course of 20 years was astonishing... We had big accounts like Caterpillar, Crown Zellerbach, Kellogs and Owens Illinois and lots of smaller ones too... sad when the way of life and brain trust disappears.

Once in a while I will see someone I worked with back then... they all say they were lucky to retire when they did.

I really think the retirement for private industry is fast becoming a thing of the past... just about the only game in town left is government or one of the big Utilities.

Enjoy this time... you've earned it!

/ The Last Night #18  
None of the shops back when I worked at a Tool and Die shop in the 80's are still around... there was so much manufacturing in the SF East Bay to see it go in the course of 20 years was astonishing... We had big accounts like Caterpillar, Crown Zellerbach, Kellogs and Owens Illinois and lots of smaller ones too... sad when the way of life and brain trust disappears.

Once in a while I will see someone I worked with back then... they all say they were lucky to retire when they did.

I really think the retirement for private industry is fast becoming a thing of the past... just about the only game in town left is government or one of the big Utilities.

Enjoy this time... you've earned it!

I am a Tool & diemaker. I worked in 12 different plants in my career. Every single one is gone.

/ The Last Night #19  
I am a Tool & diemaker. I worked in 12 different plants in my career. Every single one is gone.

Sad... but my experience also.

The collective brain trust of these guys is something lost forever.

/ The Last Night #20  
The last time one of my co-workers shed a tear when I left it took me a bit by surprise too. On my last day, after the doors were closed, we all poured a drink and shot the breeze. Then a three hundred pounder shook my hand and teared up a bit. Trust me, it's not just the women.