Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression"

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
My outlook express "email" has always asked if I wanted to compress email (about 1 time per month) and I always clicked "yes". No problem until about 3 weeks ago and I compressed and got 4 or 5 of my folders wiped off completely. I figured that was a fluke and I rebuilt the folders and re added the info held in them. Over this last weekend, I got the popup that asked if I wanted to compress my emails. I clicked yes. That time it wiped out all my sent emails,templates,drafts,folders and subfolders below the letter "D". Bad deal! Currently it is asking me if I want to compress every time I exit outlook express and I click "NO" Any idea what I need to do to prevent unexpected loss of emails and file folder when compressing? Also How can I stop that stupid window from poping up everytime I exit the program? Thanks for any help. Ken Sweet

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #2  
I had the same experience and didn't really find a satisfactory solution so I switched to Thunderbird and haven't had another problem.

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #3  
Problem is that with outlook express is that when you open it 100 times or more, it will start the dumb compact message. full version outlook doesnt do that.

workaround:

create a batch file
that launches Outlook Express.
The batch file also includes the procedure to zero the count.

----LaunchOE.bat-----------------------------
@ECHO OFF
REM ---------change registry so email wont compress---
call C:\Tasks\NoCompact.bat
MSIMN.EXE

Create a shortcut from LaunchOE.bat
Drag the shortcut to the desk top.
Use the shortcut to launch OE.

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #4  
"I had the same experience and didn't really find a satisfactory solution so I switched to Thunderbird and haven't had another problem"

Just wait till T-bird tells you "your in box is full" and you can't receive any mail! Another pain. Took me 2 days to find the solution.

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #5  
find out where the "store folder" is and check the free space on that drive...

to find the path to the store folder click Tools>Options> Maintenance tab> store folder button...

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #6  
This might help you, Ken:
Why You Should Let Outlook Express Compact Messages When It Asks You - About Email
Also, read some of the other questions which might answer some of your questions.
I'd archive older e-mails (just make sure you name the .pst file. I always used the archiving date and topic (if a topic name was applicable) and know where you saved them. This was at work. At home I either keep them (if very important, print them out as a .pdf file and store them or delete them.

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression"
find out where the "store folder" is and check the free space on that drive...

to find the path to the store folder click Tools>Options> Maintenance tab> store folder button...

I don't know how much free space I have left, however, the file size is 454 MB. Ken Sweet

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #8  
I don't know how much free space I have left, however, the file size is 454 MB. Ken Sweet

Ken, if you have only one hard drive, and it is not partitioned, when you open "My Computer", you'll just see a C drive.
If that is the case, that file you want probably went to "My Documents".
Archived e-mail goes in to a ".pst" file. I'm not sure what compressed e-mail goes to (maybe /pine knows).
However, to start, search (I hope you already know how to do a computer search) for "*.pst" (leave off the quotes). If you are in "Details" view, it'll display the sizes of the found files.
BTW, Ken...what Windows system are you using? XP? Vista? 7?

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression"
Ken, if you have only one hard drive, and it is not partitioned, when you open "My Computer", you'll just see a C drive.
If that is the case, that file you want probably went to "My Documents".
Archived e-mail goes in to a ".pst" file. I'm not sure what compressed e-mail goes to (maybe /pine knows).
However, to start, search (I hope you already know how to do a computer search) for "*.pst" (leave off the quotes). If you are in "Details" view, it'll display the sizes of the found files.
BTW, Ken...what Windows system are you using? XP? Vista? 7?

Running Windows XP Home Edition. I have found my lost email folders and they don't seem to have any data (emails) in them? Ken Sweet

/ Help with Outlook Express "Email Compression" #10  
Running Windows XP Home Edition. I have found my lost email folders and they don't seem to have any data (emails) in them? Ken Sweet

Ken,
This link might help you.
Why You Should Let Outlook Express Compact Messages When It Asks You - About Email
I wish I could provide more help, but it's tough trying to correct computer problems long distance (expecially on a forum!)

Read what's explained in that link...I think it'll fix the problems you have. It assumes you have some PC skills beyond being a user (I've no idea if that applies to you), but just go slow and definitely print out any instructions!.

I use Outlook, not Outlook Express, so even if I was setting at your desk, I'd have to do some research to figure the problem out.

Good Luck, Brother!