Good syrup year this year?

/ Good syrup year this year? #11  
That's a good yield. :thumbsup:
Do you use a candy thermometer to tell when it's ready, or previous experience?

I'm just getting a new barrel set up for my evaporator, Hoping for a good run at the end of the week.

Enjoy. ;)

I have a thermometer, but it doesn't help me. I'm just winging it :eek:

I know I probably shouldn't be getting that much, but if I boil it longer it gets to thick and has suspended sugar. I'm getting pretty comfortable with knowing when these small batchs are ready. Seems to really froth up when it's ready.

JB.

/ Good syrup year this year? #12  
I have a thermometer, but it doesn't help me. I'm just winging it :eek:

I know I probably shouldn't be getting that much, but if I boil it longer it gets to thick and has suspended sugar. I'm getting pretty comfortable with knowing when these small batchs are ready. Seems to really froth up when it's ready.

JB.

Best test for syrup to see if it ready: Dip a large spoon or dipper in the syrup while it is boiling. If the syrup drips off it isn't done yet. If it sheets off it's syrup. You'll know when it does it.:thumbsup:

/ Good syrup year this year? #13  
Best test for syrup to see if it ready: Dip a large spoon or dipper in the syrup while it is boiling. If the syrup drips off it isn't done yet. If it sheets off it's syrup. You'll know when it does it.:thumbsup:

Thanks,
I've heard of the spoon test, I try it with a ladle, But I'm not sure how to do it. So you don't scoop it up with the spoon? just dip it?

I've been scooping a small ladle full and just pouring it out, it does act differently when it's thicker, but nothing I can say is definitive.

Last year I started way to late, this year I didn't miss a day. We're getting to the end of season already, last 2-3 nights didn't drop below freezing so the taps are dry. Supposed to be more freezing nights this coming week.

JB.

/ Good syrup year this year? #14  
We have 800 trees tapped and went collecting yesterday and so far so good

/ Good syrup year this year? #15  
Almost done. We've got another 70 or so to do today, then 100+ buckets to put out.

Here's a couple pics from yesterday. We found a "bridge" so we could cross the brook. Not easy to do on snowshoes. :p

Attachments

• IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    756.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 58
   / Good syrup year this year? #16  
A couple pics. First one, 3% sugar. Not bad, gives us a ratio of 27 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup.

Second pic, 7% sugar! :licking::thumbsup: That gives us a 12 to 1 ratio!

And one of my father, generation #5, with my son and neice, generation # 7, during our first boil yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 48
   / Good syrup year this year? #17  
Second pic, 7% sugar! :licking::thumbsup: That gives us a 12 to 1 ratio!

Wow, that tree water is more valuable than premium gasoline or diesel fuel :)

JB.

/ Good syrup year this year? #18  
Thanks,
I've heard of the spoon test, I try it with a ladle, But I'm not sure how to do it. So you don't scoop it up with the spoon? just dip it?

I've been scooping a small ladle full and just pouring it out, it does act differently when it's thicker, but nothing I can say is definitive.

Last year I started way to late, this year I didn't miss a day. We're getting to the end of season already, last 2-3 nights didn't drop below freezing so the taps are dry. Supposed to be more freezing nights this coming week.

JB.

Here's as close to an example as I could get. Took me about 30 pics to catch this, lol, camera didn't want to click when I wanted the pic.:laughing:

Good season thus far, good weather all week, 3-6" of snow coming tomorrow and cold every night for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• 196693_1587573536493_1450449098_31215789_5524686_n.jpg
    196693_1587573536493_1450449098_31215789_5524686_n.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
   / Good syrup year this year? #19  
Here's as close to an example as I could get. Took me about 30 pics to catch this, lol, camera didn't want to click when I wanted the pic.:laughing:

Good season thus far, good weather all week, 3-6" of snow coming tomorrow and cold every night for the foreseeable future.

Hey thanks for trying so hard, I see what you're talking about.

My operation is crude but works.
I got close to 3 gallons of syrup out of 2 trees this year so I'm happy. Just made 3 quarts on Thursday from 23 gallons of sap, darkest batch yet.

But that's it for us as the trees are budding now. still have a few just below freezing nights but the taps have been dry the last few days.

JB.

Attachments

• DSC04248.jpg
    DSC04248.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC04251.jpg
    DSC04251.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 51
   / Good syrup year this year? #20  
Glad you had a good season. We've got a few weeks left, long way from budding yet. Even the soft maples aren't looking like their budding right off.