Sprayer boom or boomless?

/ Sprayer boom or boomless? #1  

Agrantina

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3240 GST
I am going to buy a UTV sprayer this spring and I have been looking at boom sprayers and noticed they have boomless ones?? Can someone tell me the benefits of a boomless sprayer or draw backs of them?? Spraying clover and at other times spraying food plots with round up in the late summer to plant oats in the fall.. about 4 different plots biggest is about 2 acres.. your thoughts? Looking at these 2- both are about the same price..

AndyG

Attachments

• bomless.jpg
    bomless.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,828
  • bomm.jpg
    bomm.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,740
   / Sprayer boom or boomless? #2  
I prefer the spray nozzles be close to the ground (about 12-15") and low pressure (~12psi).

The wind always seems to pick up when spraying and the spray drifts around easily. By the looks of the first pic, the nozzles put the spray plume up pretty high. Don't think I'd like that much.

/ Sprayer boom or boomless? #3  
for what you are doing, i would suggest a boom type sprayer. and just like "beenthere" noted.

a boomless sprayer = mouth fulls of mist in your mouth, a hand wand like a garden hose nozzle but longer nozzle on it normally. would be called "spot sprayer" other words ya go around and spray specific weeds to kill them, or spray around each fence post.

a boom, allows you to spread the stuff out. without having to whip the "hand wand" back and forth like crazy, and hoping to get an even spray across everything.

/ Sprayer boom or boomless? #4  
beenthere and argintina pretty well outlined the the issue with boomless. I prefer the boomless due to convienience of boom being inside my wheel base of my 4 wheeler. Don't have to worry about tearing the boom off on trees or other obstacles. I do have to pick still days to control drift and choose my direction of travel to keep from eating chemical. I'm in Kansas and we do get still days occasionaly.

/ Sprayer boom or boomless?
Does the boomless have adjustable nozzles? I would think you can adjust to spray down and not up?

AndyG

/ Sprayer boom or boomless? #6  
Yes they are adjustable. I have the FIMCO boomless and modified it to fit my 2" receiver on the back of my z or gator, works great. Highly recommend it. Will post up some pics of the setup if I can find them.

/ Sprayer boom or boomless?
Please do-- thought about the same thing on the mule!!!!!!!!... I welded up a carry all for the mule a few years back. Got tired of trying to pick deer up to the TOP of the tail gate. Sad thing is that some wanted it more than I did!!

AndyG

/ Sprayer boom or boomless? #8  
Funny a carryall is what I used for the base of the sprayer :)

/ Sprayer boom or boomless? #9  
I have a FIMCO boomless. The nozzles can be turned in any direction. If you face them straight down you can spray an area about 6 foot wide with some overlap. If you tilt them outward slightly you can get about 8 feet with no overlap. I have used a boomless sprayer and it does have slightly better coverage but the booms make it difficult to navigate around trees and such. Unless you will always be spraying wide open areas I would suggest the slightly poorer spray pattern of the boomless. It isn't that much worse and it is much more convienient.