mp3 converter

/ mp3 converter #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Bought portable cd player to plug cd into my pro ears when cutting the fields. I shunned a cd player that ALSO played mp3 files, thinking that was for the teen age crowd.

Upon spending hours and hours and hours cutting 100 acres with 5 foot cutter and hearing same cd's over & over per cutting session...

I finally woke up and realized what the dude at store was telling me.

Seems you can burn (think he said) up to 10 HOURS of music onto single CD???

BUt have to have them in MP3 format.

Soooooooooooooooooo

I've looked around some but have no idea on this kind of stuff. Do I need a "converter", "ripper".. do I also need a BURNER? (my pc does have a CD RW)

So, exactly what do I need to copy bunch of cd's onto pc, then convert to mp3, and burn that to cd player?

Also.. must each SONG be burned as track? or is it better to burn ALL songs as a GROUP as "1 track"??

Thanks to anyone who can help

(this is tractor related because of aforeementioned rotary cutter) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ mp3 converter #2  
<font color=blue>So, exactly what do I need to copy bunch of cd's onto pc, then convert to mp3, and burn that to cd player</font color=blue>

It's like copying a CD except the format is converted before the new CD is burned. We gave a MP3 player to our son that has 64 meg of memory and the MP3 files load throught a USB firewire from the PC. It is MUCH smaller than a CD player (about the size of a cigarette pack but thinner). He burners the tracks to a new CD in MP3 format and then transfers whatever he wants to the player

Here's some links to a few rippers

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zdnetindia.com/downloads/catinfo/2140,0,vctitle,asce,20,463.html> zdnet</A>

another zdnet

/ mp3 converter #3  
I use roxio easy cd creator 5. very easy to use and does more than just music files. came with my dell computer. you can put over 100 songs on a disk as seperate tracks, and each song can be labled.

/ mp3 converter
<font color=blue>roxio easy cd creator 5</font color=blue>

You mean the answer is possibly already before my eyes?

I too, have this on my pc.

(starting it up now to look at it)

/ mp3 converter #5  
I got tired of fighting with CD Creator ... I use it for files but not (any longer) for music.
Just for grins, I would check out MusicMatch and see what you think. I find that it rips fine ... but better yet, allows much greater control of the ID tags. This means that when I'm playing one of my MP3's in the car (yeah. I retrofitted a deck that has MP3 capability) the display properly shows the tags.
MM allows you to save your files (I now have about 8 gb of CDs ripped ... about 10% of my collection ... guess it's finally time to install that 100gb drive I've had sitting on the shelf for 18 months) and sort them into various playlists which you can burn onto CD's.

pete

/ mp3 converter #6  
Wingnut -

Just as a sidebar, not sure if you're aware/interested or not, but <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/index.shtml>this item</A> is something that may make the need for you to burn CDs a thing of the past since it basically allows just about anyone to load up their entire collection on a single unit.

/ mp3 converter #7  
Ranchman, there are a couple of hard drive based jukebox units available and I'm seriously considering installing one on my GoldWing before riding season starts up here again.
For the van, I decided to go with the unit I have since it still has radio and CD and just added the ability to play CD's with MP3's on it. I don't mind switching the occasional CD into the deck ... but would mind the distraction of the jukebox unit. Right now I switch music by tossing a differnt CD ... while the jukebox requires me to pay attention to it to switch directories or do anything. So, for me, it was a sfatey thing.
The bike'll be different, because it will just be playing whatever I programmed at the last rest stop until I get to the next rest stop (since it'll be installed in the trunk).
I do like the idea of the hard drive unit .... although I'll need at least an 80 gb drive to hold all my music (been collecting for WAY too long). The nice thing is that it IS a hard drive and can hold more than MP3's. If I want to load some pics to show granny when we visit, for example, no problem.

pete

/ mp3 converter #8  
<font color=blue>there are a couple of hard drive based jukebox units available </font color=blue>

What are the other brands? I'd be curious as I have too considered (but not purchased) this option. I'm still in "research mode" myself.

I too have been buying CDs forever and would like to have them readily accessible/classified in to different groups. (e.g. I have a somewhat eclectic taste with regards to music and depending on my mood, I like to listen to different things.)

The whole hard drive option seemed like a better solution since it is 1) bigger than the CD-R changers out there; 2) easier/quicker transfer/organization of files; and 3) portability between vehicle & home stereo unit.

It isn’t an option for everyone, but seems like it might fit my desires pretty well.

/ mp3 converter
have found out I have this Roxio, ez cd creator 5 too.

Been tinkinering with it and "ripping" (as I surmise it's called) some tracks to my hard drive.

I've since discovered you can evidently change the sampling rate and ostensibly, change the file size. Net effect being I suppose, to lay more tracks down on singular disk.

What sampling rates are "good better best"???

My intent, is to get a portable cd player, plug it into my Pro Ears and use almost exclusively when Brush hogging. I use my "ears" when I'm on backhoe, but so far, my tendencies have been to NOT distract myself with music while doing so.

So.. given not on home hi-fi system... what kind of sample rate would be "good enough" or "appropriate" for the belt clip on cd player?

My choices seem to be a low of 32, up to a high of 320 kbps

Thanks
Richard

/ mp3 converter #10  
128 should work just fine, I think this is considered cd quality. any higher and the file sizes get larger and take up more space.

Use the help menu for info on how to use it.

Hope this works for you.