COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
wed, my computer screen went nuts, could not shut down right had to just kill the power and when i tired to restart, nothing, no screen and the puter tried to boot but nothing! no matter what i tried it would not boot. well it is 5.5 years old so today i called a guy about building me a new one and he said if the video card went bad that might cause the problm i just got home and figure what the hell? so i reset the card and low and behold the computer works fine. still going to get a new one but don't have to rush now. the one i am going to have built is a pentium 4, 2.5 ghz, 512 ddr dram front side buss 533 mghz, soundblaster live sound card, nivida g froce 4 64 mg video card, 400 watts power supply. win xp any ideas?

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #2  
Sounds like you have it all covered. If your current computer is 5 1/2 years old it must really be a dinosaur. Your gonna love your BIG move up to your new system!

Which Ge Force card are you going to go with? The TI series? The video card in my computer went out a few months ago and I replaced it with the Ge Force TI 4200, which is the low end of the TI series, and I have been very pleased with it. I can only imagine how much better the 4400 or 4600 would be. You should be able to set up two monitors with your Ge Force video card if you so desire.

How big of a hard drive are you going to get? Mine is 40GB and half of it has never been formatted. The half that is formatted is not even 1/4 full.

What about your case? I bought a case that allows the back to slide out for easier access to the hardware. Sure makes it easier to work on the inside if it ever becomes necessary.

Have fun with your new 'puter. I know you're gonna love it.

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #3  
My wife's system sounds much like yours, about the same specs, and she has a DVD drive on it. With a good sound system, including sub-woofer, etc., playing a concert DVD such as my favorite, "Imaginary Day" by Pat Metheny, is a joy!!

In any event, the speed difference you will see will probably make you sit there and giggle! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Let us know how it turns out....

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #4  
Have them put the 512 RAM in w/ only one stick. Won't cost but a few dollars more and when - not if - when you go to a Gig of RAM you won't have to rebuy your 512 MB.

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE
yep it is an old timer, but it has worked so well , have not done a thing to it in 4 years, had to replace the hard drive once at i year old(warrenty and a new modem it is an 200 mghz 32 meg ram/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif lots of programs won't run on it. and doing digital photo on it takes forever. YES the 512 meg of ram is going in in 1 chip, getting a western digital 7200 rpm special edition(3 year warrenty} 80 gig(overkill but not expensive) hard drive.will probably order it it the next weeek and should have it built and deliverd within 2 weeks or so.

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE
CHRIS: forgot to mention, but the case is like what i have now, the fron't pops off and the side panel slides off, very easy access, no screws to mess with.

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #7  
Frank,
I think that if the CPU is not at least a 2.66 (not a 2.6, a 2.6 is a 400) then it will be a 400 FSB not a 533 FSB ... go to www.intel.com and check this ... either way it will be very quick ... I was going to check myself but I am having a problem connecting to Intel ...
Leo

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #8  
Close, Leo. 533 Mhz FSB's are available starting from the 2.26 GHZ processors. But you are right that the 2.6 is a 400 Mhz FSB.

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #9  
Are you getting the WD with the 8MB of cache built onto the drive?

/ COMPUTERS ARE STRANGE #10  
Some computer cases have an option for USB ports on the front. Very handy if you have or plan to have a USB camera. There's no crawling around to find the jack on the back.