IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I see where Tractor Supply has this air compressor for sale at $499, regular $599. It is a single stage 230V compressor with 3HP motor and says it delivers 11.3CFM @ 90 PSI. The compressor is one of those that you have to put oil in, which is a good thing. Most of the reviews are good, but after reading the thread on Northern Tools reviews I can't say that I trust them.

Anybody have one of these?

I currently don't even own an air tool, but plan to use it for an impact wrench (my electric one is not all that powerful), blowing things off, airing up tires, and also putting 20 pounds of air in my 220 gal galvanized water well pressure tank every few weeks (need to get this fixed where I don't have to do that). I want to get a 50 hose on a retractable reel so I can get air all over my shop. I am just a homeowner with 24 acres, tractor, ZTR, mule, etc. Not doing anything professionally at all. This would seem to be a nice upgrade to what I have.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #2  
Is there a link to the specific compressor you are looking at?
I myself use 4 different ones but that is because of what I do/use them for.
Oil is a better, but if you ever move it let the oil settle before running it. Oilless compressors can be nice but they will overheat under heavy use.
The one you are describing would be a nice "shop" compressor for sure and I think you'll be happy with the sizing.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #3  
I'm sure this is the compressor being considered and Alan I think that should do anything you want to do. I do wish their description told what the maximum air pressure it will produce is, and does it include a pressure regulator because you will want one if you ever use it for such things as painting. 120 psi max. is common, but I sure like 150 psi. I think maybe Northern Tool has the same compressor? at the same "regular" price; 135 max. psi. However, in spite of Dargo's complaint:laughing:, I'd go to Northern Tool instead of Tractor Supply and buy this Puma compressor with the V-twin cylinders; 150 max. psi. But I only say that because it's exactly the model I had in my shop before I moved back to town and it was used almost every day.;) It was frequently run continuously for long periods of time for such things as sandblasting. And instead of sweeping a 40' x 60' shop building, I used a blow gun to blow all the dirt and dust out the door.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #4  
I have an IR compressor, I am very happy with it. Relatively quite, Fast, keeps up with my sand blaster or anything else I have tried, plasma, plastic welder, air tools, paint etc...

Ingersoll Rand are supposed to be top of the line compressors. I would buy with confidence.

I don't have the one you are looking at I have an 80gal 7.5hp 2stage 175PSI, this one:

Ingersoll Rand 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor - 3452272 | Tractor Supply Company

I did not pay $1999 I think it was on sale for $1600 when I got it.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #5  
I have had 2 of the :

SKU Number: 3496129
Manufacturers Number: TS4N5

Air Compressor | Tank Capacity : 80 gal. | PSI Rating : 175 PSI | Flow Rate : 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI | Power Rating : 5 HP | Pump Style : Two-Stage | Width : 40 in. | Total Length : 48 in. | Height : 76 in. | Material : Cast Iron | Current Rating : 230V

Gave one to my brother. The main web page on Tractor Supply say's $1999, the actual price is $999 on this one if you click the info link. The one with the 7.5 hp motor is the $1999 one, other than that they are pretty much equal.

You would do real good with the one your looking at, or do like I did, I registered at one of their stores with a farm exemption and they periodically send me discount coupons. You may be able to ask them too. I received a 15% discount coupon and ran down to my local TSC and picked up the the above model. Great savings and a super shop compressor.

I've had oil-less before and wont again, just my opinion.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #6  
I have that compressor. Had it for 4 years now now and am very happy. If you plan on using it alot though, you may wany want to step up to the 2 stage.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #8  
Will parts be available for that brand or another brand when it breaks, and it will break.

I have an old Sanborn compressor that the relief valve failed on. That part not available according to a phone call to Sanborn so it was basically junk because of a 10 dollar not available part.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #9  
Anybody have one of these?

I've got the 5hp version. Taken care of all my needs, and WAY quieter than the non-oiled one it replaced.

IMO this is a once every 10-20 year purchase. I'd spend the extra bucks to goto a 5hp. Same 60gal tank, but it makes a bit more air.

If you really had extra cash to spend the 2 stage are VERY nice. The 175 PSI tank means quite a bit more stored air, and much more consistent pressure at the tool. However given your expected uses, it may be overkill for the need.

/ IR 60 gal Air Compressor oiled #10  
The link Bird put up is the one:

Ingersoll Rand 60-Gallon Air Compressor - 3496111 | Tractor Supply Company

That Puma does look like a nice compressor too, similar specs. I wonder if they keep it in stock - there is a store I think in Plano I could check out.

I am generally an Ingersoll-Rand fan when it comes to air tools, but have no experience with their compressors. I only recently learned that Northern Tool was selling the Puma compressors. I did not buy my Puma compressor from Northern Tool. At one time, I'd had a brief repair experience with Industrial Air of Texas and liked them. In December, 1998, they were located on South Cooper Street in Arlington. On 12/9/98, I noticed the Puma showed "6 hp". The salesman said, "We call it an imitation 6 hp." He then showed me one of their own real 5 hp electric motors on an 80 gallon 2 stage compressor and of course it was twice as big as the Puma compressor motor. But he said they had some of the Pumas in shops running all day 5 or 6 days a week and never had a complaint. I'm not sure exactly what the price of the compressor was, but I find in my records that I paid them $617.61 that day, including some fittings, pressure regulator/filter, sales tax, etc. It was a fine compressor and never gave me any trouble at all, but of course, I only had it nearly 4 years. When I had to move back to town, the realtor who sold our place out in the country, bought that compressor from me (he had a ranch in the same county himself).

Now I see, assuming it's the same company, now in Grand Prairie, that they don't list the Puma as one of their brands so perhaps the Ingersoll-Rand is the better choice if you're concerned with parts in the future. Personally, I'd go with the Puma because I like that V-twin design and had such good luck with mine, but I can certainly understand reasons others may make a different choice.

Attachments

• P1200007.JPG
    P1200007.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 643