US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
Folks,
It is no secret that I am a Marine.
As highlighted by my MOTM writeup I try to participate in many Veteran activites. As we all know, there are plans for events all over the country.
I encourage you to make time to participate, or even to just be there to show support.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to share some of those events and memories.

I understand this forum is Multi-National and encourage members from all other world to comment and post memories. Even more so I challenge all of you to start threads of memories for your special events!

The question is who will add the first memory here?

With true admiration and a humble heart, I want submit this to all of you to think of our servicemen and women as we lead up to Memorial.

May this early thought give us all enough time to reflect, share memories and plan our attendance at an event to show our support.

Semper Fi and God Bless,

RadarTech

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #2  
I served in the Army and so did my wife my farther served in the Air Force and my Uncle served in the Marines they both were in Vietnam. So I will remember all that have served this great country and I hope you will to May our sacrifices never be forgotten

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #3  
My Grandfather served in the US Army, WWI in France. In the thick of the worst of that war. Didn't get his gas mask on fast enough once; had a nasty mustard gas cough the rest of his life. He was marksman/sniper rated.

Aunts and uncles served in Army and Air Force. Numerous friends too.

I never did; I regret it now. Instead, I volunteer in the local Fire department. Who gets called, when things hit the fan? The FD, or the USMC...

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #4  
As Memorial Day approaches, I think more people should watch this. I think ALL school age kids should watch it. Kids in my sons Cub Scout den, and since, Scout Patrol, have done this skit at Cub Scout/Boy Scout meetings.

Red Skelton breaks from comedy, and in a very serious dialog, explains the Pledge of Allegiance -

YouTube - Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #5  
I'm USN Retired... I know many who paid the ultimate price. Every cruise book I have has the back page listing people who didn't return.

mark

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #6  
I grew up during the late '60s and just missed the draft in the early '70s. With age comes wisdom though, and I now know what a huge sacrifice those veterans and current service members made to keep the USA free. I can't thank you all enough!

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #7  
Our EKA-3 Detachment shared a ready room with the E2-C squadron on the USS Midway in the Tonkin Gulf in '72-73. On a non-combat flight from the ship to Cubi Point, Philippines we lost one of the E-2s and it's crew of 4. Unknown causes. Four names on The Wall that I knew personally.

By the way - we fly the flag on our house 7x24x365 - anyone else?

Attachments

• DSCF1892.JPG
    DSCF1892.JPG
    858.2 KB · Views: 72
   / US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #8  
Yes.

I also have seen numerous flags retired by our Boy Scout troop. Those guys may be teenagers, and goof around ect. But when we retire flags, they take the job very seriously.

By the way - we fly the flag on our house 7x24x365 - anyone else?

/ US Memorial Day-- Memories by Members #9  
Hate to say it, but, we fly the Philippine flag. Back to back tours at NAS Cubi Point and still visit every few years.

mark