Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV

Default whole house fan

i "may" have asked this before, if so, i do not remember the answer: sorry if i am repeating myself: why couldn't a heat/ac blower fan, be used as a whole house fan? put it in the attic, with an opening about the size of the return air: an exhaust it to the outside: i have several of these things, an use them occasionally to set up and circulate the air in my garage when i am working in there, an they really do a heck of a job: i put one under my house several years ago, when it got a little damp under there, to dry it out: till i could locate an repair the place water was coming in: an again it seemed to work great: anyone ever try one as a whole house fan??
    heehaw

Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE hst cab

Default Re: whole house fan

never tried it, but i cant see why it wouldn't work. A fan is a fan. The ac motor should be plenty quiet and is designed to circulate air.

would probably need some kind of auto damper though to close shaft when not in use.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV

i was thinking, build a box in the attic for the fan, an put a spring loaded damper in the exhaust, so when i turn the fan on, it blows it open, an shuts when the fan is turned off..all i would do is open about 5 windows in the house a couple inches each, to get the air to circulate thru the house, an i just cannot see how this wouldn't work...
    heehaw

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

i use to have a couple of these old A/C plenum blowers in my shop and they really do great for blowing air, however all would do is blow the same air around, I then got a 48" attic fan and mounted it up high in the wall of my shop I can now open one of the doors on the far side from the fan and in a mater of minutes have the hot air exhaust to the outside,.............

I'm sure what you are suggesting will work as well, although you might consider building a plenum onto the inlet side of the blower and run a trunk of 15" duct to a Y-reducer stepping down to 2x10 and split into 2 trunks leading to rooms on each end of your home, remember these are designed to pull from multiple of returns throughout the house,